Richard Proenneke's Sourdough Starter

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Joshie, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Joshie

Joshie Well-Known Member Supporter

I forget which HTer gave me some of his starter but I'm thankful for it. I haven't made any sourdough bread in a while so I've kept my dried pieces of starter in the freezer. I don't exactly remember how to get it started. The recipe I was given says to put the dried sourdough starter in 1/2 cup warm water. After about half an hour it's supposed to turn cloudy then add flour.

Does anybody know how much of the dried starter I'm supposed to use? TIA

2. Sourdough

Sourdough Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no idea. Dick was my neighbor when I homesteaded on Lake Clark.

3. Joshie

Do you have any of his starter? If not, send me a PM.

4. Sourdough

Sourdough Well-Known Member

I have never used sourdough starter.

5. tlrnnp67

tlrnnp67 Well-Known Member

This is copied from the pamphlet for the starter:

To REACTIVATE the starter from the powdered form:
    1. Dissolve the contents of the packet with 3/4 cup warm (90 degree) water, add 3/4 cup white bread flour, and 1 teaspoon sugar in glass or plastic container (NOT METAL!).
    2. Place bowl (covered with damp towel) in warm place (the oven with the light on is about 85 degrees-Test it first!) for up to 48 hours. It will get bubbly from the fermentation. IT’S ALIVE!!
    3. Mix in 1 cup warm (95) water, add 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon dried potatoes or use potato water and let sit in the warm place till bubbly again. Don’t worry about the lumps as the fermentation will take care of them.
    4. Now, you can store it in the frig till needed. It may develop a clear liquid on top, if so, stir it back in as this is alcohol -keep it happy! It will need feeding about every couple of weeks, just add 1 cup warm skim milk or water, 1 T Sugar and 1 cup flour. Once in a while add 1 tablespoon of dried potatoes (or use potato water). If it looks sick, add 1 T CIDER vinegar to give it a kick in the behind! Give the excess to a friend or you can keep some of it in the freezer for several months between feedings. When you want to bake something, bring the starter up to room temperature, mix in 1 cup flour, 1 c warm water or skim milk and let sit overnight to ferment. The next morning, remove one cup to keep in a covered jar as a starter for use next time, feed it, then do your baking.

When I got my starter, I only got a tiny amount, probably about a tsp worth. That's what you probably need to use to restart yours.

6. Joshie

I think I'm going to have to wing it. I don't have a packet of it or one of the spoons they sell. (EEK! $10 for a wooden spoon dipped in starter!) A friendly HTer sent me a start years ago and I don't know how much starter to reactivate. I have a lot of starter. Hopefully it's not sensitive. I don't want to add too much or too little. I guess I can always pitch it and start again if necessary.

7. tlrnnp67

tlrnnp67 Well-Known Member

Joshie,

Don't sweat it. It's very forgiving. Start with a tsp. You can always add more as needed.

Joshie likes this.
  8. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

It won't matter how much you use since you're basically growing living organisms that will multiply.

Depending on how much you have, I'd start with a Tablespoon or two and "revive" a small batch, to which more flour can be added

This site describes the process:
    http://yumarama.com/3000/reviving-dried-sourdough-starter/

9. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the Oregon Trail starter and their instructions call for a 1/2 cup water/ flour ratio to start. Then follow the excellent instructions Tlrnnp posted. I estimate there is about 2 tsp. of dried starter in the baggie they send.

10. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, that's funny, Sourdough!

Maggie likes this.
  11. MOgal

MOgal Well-Known Member Supporter

Joshie, was it Momoffour? I remember her sending it to a lot of folks a couple of years ago including me.

12. Joshie

I searched the forum to see if I could remember. I think Mom_of_Four is the one who gave it to me. She's no longer registered but her name was quoted by others.

She kindly gave a lot of it out to HTers.