Review On E-Foods

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Trixters_muse, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Trixters_muse

Trixters_muse Well-Known Member

My Patriot Supply recently sponsored a contest and I was one of the lucky winners, I received my package two days ago, Happy, Happy! My prize is a two weeks supply of assorted meals from E-Foods.

The shipping was speedy, in fact it was only minutes after I sent Matt my address that he sent me a confirmation number and the package arrived on the morning of the third day.

As for the food, the first day we tried the Tortilla Soup, it is very good. Not too salty, plenty of flavor and easy to prepare. We added a dollop of sour cream and some chopped fresh herbs, it was really filling. It would be easy to add some broth, beans and maybe a little meat to stretch it and feed more people or bigger appetites. :goodjob:

Today we tried the Shells with Cheddar Sauce, very yummy and good size portions. The sauce is creamy and rich, would be great with some chicken and fresh broccoli added for a complete meal.

One difference noted in the meals is unlike some others I have tried, the pasta is cooked separately then the sauce mix added with some of the pasta water. At first I didn't care for this as I liked the ease of prep with other brands... Add contents of meal pack to boiling water, stir, let sit, eat. My kids pointed out that some of those meals were also a bit too mushy for our taste, at least with the e-foods meals we could control the cooking time and prepare it the way we enjoyed it most. The sodium content wasn't nearly as high as other pouch meals I have tried.

I plan to try a couple of other flavors then save the rest, I will let you know what we try next.

Thank you again Matt for this wonderful opportunity to try your new product!:bouncy:

~Aine (Ahn-ya)

2. jamala

jamala Well-Known Member Supporter

I got my sample pack from e foods this week too. The creamy potato soup is great, not too salty at all, but I could see adding a jar of my home canned potatoes to it and it still being great because it is so creamy. The tortilla soup was on my list to try next week so I am glad to see someone else review it. The other sample was the chicken/rice casserole and I will try it this week also.

3. mypatriotsupply

mypatriotsupply Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your honest reviews! 25 year shelf life food won't ever taste as good as a dinner at Applebees, but eFoods sure has led the pack in taste (in my opinion).

4. Trixters_muse

Nothing beats home cooking, you can have Applebee's LOL! But I agree that eFoods does lead the pack and I plan on adding more to my storage.

When a hurricane took out our power for 14 days a few years ago before I was as prepped as I am now, we were happy to have instant oatmeal and canned soup cooked on the grill. I would have traded my eldest son for some of that eFoods tortilla soup :)

on second thought, he is the muscle, but I would have traded the cat!:bouncy:

5. AR Aaron

AR Aaron Well-Known Member

The problem I have with most of the Long Term Storage Foods is SALT, seems like sooooo much salt in the ones that I have tried. I might give this one a shot though. Looks interesting. Pricing seems pretty good. I have tried the Wise ones, and they are "OK".

6. jamala

AR Aaron, I have 2 grab and go buckets of the WISE ones and they are ok but way too salty. These dont taste as salty as the WISE ones, I will look tomorrow and compare sodium on the labels. My WISE ones will be on the shelf for emergencys only and I can add canned meat/veggies to them help with the salt and to stretch them to feed more people. The e foods ones are tasty enough for a meal when we are in a rush or I don't feel like cooking:)

mypatriotsupply likes this.
  7. AR Aaron

That is good to know. We have car camping trip coming up next month, I think I will look into ordering a sampler pack or sorts and give them a try. The tortilla soup looks really good for all the raves about it.

8. Texasdirtdigger

Texasdirtdigger Texasdirtdigger Supporter

Well, I am a bonified Salt-a-holic...I crave the stuff, and seem to have no ill health due to it. When and if I do, I will cut back.
    So..........How do I get a sample pack of e- foods to try out?

9. mypatriotsupply

Texasdirtdigger likes this.
  10. hsmom2four

hsmom2four Well-Known Member

I made the creamy potato soup from the efoods sample pack for lunch today. I added a can of diced potatoes and served it with shredded cheese and bacon as a garnish. My husband and I liked it. We both added a lot of pepper and a little salt (perhaps we're salt-a-holics too). It did not taste salty at all. If you like the Bear Creek soups then you'll like this one better. Also, just to be fair, one of my teens ate the soup but didn't like it and the other one wouldn't even try it. They are used to potato soup made from scratch in the tradition of my granddaddy and my dad (both of whom have now passed on) and this does not taste like our family's version of homemade soup (I don't think it should anyway). Both said they would eat it if it were a survival situation.

So we had three likes and two didn't likes. With the addition of a can of potatoes the portion size was very generous too. I served up four bowls for the family and then my husband and I had seconds and there is still a little bit left in the pot. I can see a lot of possibilities with this soup as a base such as adding in ham, corn and more potatoes for a very hearty meal.

11. Texasdirtdigger

Thanks, Matt. I'll give them a try!

12. Texasdirtdigger

hsmom24 - Clam chowder!!! add a few clams...Viola!!

13. mypatriotsupply

This, ladies and gentleman, is what it all comes down to:

[​IMG]

Note the serving sizes, number of food selections, and # of people fed stacked up against the competition.

fetch33 likes this.
  14. jamala

texasdirtdigger, thanks for the idea, now I will have to add canned clams to my stocks;)

15. hsmom2four

hsmom2four Well-Known Member

My husband would love that! I don't know if I can eat clams--I'm allergic to shell fish.

16. AR Aaron

17. AverageJo

AverageJo Well-Known Member Supporter

With these great reviews, I also ordered the 6 free meals offer and will give them a try with my own family. If they like them, I'm sure we'll be placing an order as well. Oh, the possibilities here .... camping... quick meal that even a child can prepare .... bug out bag .... power outtages ....

18. Trixters_muse

I store clams AND Oysters, what a great idea! I bet clams would taste good in the alfredo or other pasta dishes.

19. Trixters_muse

Thanks for posting this Matt, big difference. Honestly for me, taste means more than price but I truly do like EFoods better than Wise and others I currently have on hand.

Our Little Farm likes this.
  20. hillbillygal

hillbillygal Learning everyday

I had ordered the sampler pack and made the creamy potato soup for supper tonight. I had canned clams on hand so added a small can of those and it's pretty dern tasty. I don't find it salty but I'm not on a low-sodium diet so I may be used to it, lol. The only Wise I tried was the creamy vegetable pasta and I like this potato soup better than that. Not a completely even comparison but what I have to work with, lol. I will definitely be saving up to buy some more efoods to add to the pantry.