red chicken pea comb what kind is it

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by garliclady, Aug 25, 2011.

1. garliclady

garliclady Well-Known Member

We bought chicks this spring from 2 sources some RIR and Barred rocks from Southern hatchery and some Americanas from the local feed and seed. Some of what we thought were Americanas ended up being Barnvelders. We have noticed that some of the red chickens are not RIR They are red slightly lighter with pea combs and seem to mature later than the RIR. The RIR are mature enough that we can tell the hens from the roosters the others have small combs even though one is crowing now

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

If they are red like the RIR they sound like a Buckeye. Post pics to be sure.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Either a Buckeye or a Red Chantecler? Pictures would help.

Kathleen

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Barnevelders have dark brown eggs and are rare. I would be thrilled if they made that mistake!

5. garliclady

garliclady Well-Known Member

I know I was realy suprised . One of the barnvelders had a hurt leg and we pulled out of the flock we didn't think it would make it but it did and now is a pet and hangs out with our kittens that were born around the same time . Barnvelders are such gentle chickens . I do believe the red ones are buckeyes. None have started laying yet, can;t wait.