Red and Black Raspberry Cross Pollinating

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bstuart29, Mar 31, 2008.

1. bstuart29

bstuart29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone know if Red and Black Raspberries will cross pollinate if they are planted to close together? Thanks.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Both are the same family, Rubus, but unless you plan to save seed from them for some reason, I don't know why you'd be concerned with it. Propagation of both are normally from either cuttings or tissue culture, not seeds.

Martin

3. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

PS: they also propagate from suckers.

4. bstuart29

bstuart29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thank you both:) The question was for a friend and she asked me and I thought it should be okay but wanted to ask others to be sure. Thanks again:)

5. beamernc

beamernc Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the NC State website on raspberries. They recommend red and black raspberries be separated by 700 feet. My black ones died after one year. I then found out that I should not have planted them with my red and yellow ones.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8204.html

6. Paquebot

That only applies in the case of one being diseased. I had red and black separated only by several red currant bushes for years. Red raspberries were here when I bought the place in 1963. Added the red currants in 1965. Black raspberries came about 1983. Finally lost the currants a few years ago from old age.

Martin

7. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

Hey.

I support Martin. I grew Heritage(red) ten feet from Amber(yellow) at our old place for 15 years and never had a problem. Berries were true to form. Not black, I know...

I didn't find a clearcut reason listed for the 700 ft. distance. I know it isn't for cross pollination, because you need a seperation of 2 miles, taking into consideration the travel distance of honey bees. Or, you could use seperation tenting. That 700 ft. distance is because of disease prevention.

RF

8. Paquebot

Because black raspberries are so prone to diseases, I would not now buy one which was not propagated via tissue culture. You can't buy any from Jung's that was not started by that method. Mine are Bristol Black which were from stem cuttings. Now they are only available as tissue culture plugs.

Martin