Recommendations for buying peanut seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tankpa, Mar 11, 2011.

1. tankpa

tankpa Well-Known Member

I bought some from Gurney's and they all came broken... I am assuming I can't plant them broken can I? Thanks!

2. olivehill

olivehill Well-Known Member Supporter

I asked the same thing recently -- not all of mine were broken though -- and was told no, broken peanuts won't germinate.

I can't help you on ordering though, I got mine from Henry Fields.

3. tankpa

tankpa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply minus the help!:hrm::thumb: LOL Now what?? I want peanuts!!!

4. salmonslayer91

salmonslayer91 Well-Known Member

alot of the ones i bought on ebay were broken i was very disapointed. i would suggest looking local or buying raw peanuts from the grocery store

5. kenworth

kenworth Well-Known Member

Try these folks, they are where I buy all my bulk seeds. http://www.debruynseed.com/

They are a small store in Zeeland, MI and this is where I got my peanut seeds last year.

I don't know how they are about shipping as I shop there personally.

In 2010, 4 oz of Valencia Peanut seeds were $2.25.

Beware, white tail deer seem to love peanuts. They wiped mine out overnight.

6. luv2farm

luv2farm Well-Known Member Supporter

I ,too, am interested in growing peanuts this years. My family's favorite snack is roasted, salted peanuts in the shell. Anyone ever done this? How are they to grow? How does one go about roasting and salting them? I hope this will be my "new" trial this year. I usually try one new thing a year.........

ANy suggestions?

7. olivehill

Keep that kind of attitude and you'll find yourself not getting any replies at all in no time.

8. happydog

happydog Well-Known Member

9. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

After a reply like that, perhaps you'll find that nobody may want another from you.

MARTIN

10. olivehill

I'm not really sure why that would be the case, Martin -- the OP is new and I was simply pointing out what I perceived to be incredibly rude behavior and the potential consequence of that behavior -- but as always people are free to pass over any replies they so choose. There's even a handy ignore feature in your profile that you should feel free to use liberally.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  11. Paquebot

Now see those replies together. How long have you been on the Internet? Do you not know what LOL and various emoticons mean? I suggest that you learn them before deriding a new HT member for a perfectly acceptable statement.

Martin

12. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

Okay, how about a helpful answer. :) Go to your local bulk foods store and buy raw peanuts there. You'll be able to pick out broken pieces and only buy whole ones that you can plant.

13. salmonslayer91

salmonslayer91 Well-Known Member

agreed! if you can choose not to ship and risk the damage that WIll happen when shipped do it! as manygoatsnmore suggested

14. Paquebot

Possibly something has happened within the supply system if they were Virginia type. My peanut order from Shumway is on backorder. That would be all of the information that one would officially get. In person, it is "a problem with the vendor". I was not informed if it were a quality problem or what but know that they were looking for a different source as of last Friday.

Martin

15. tankpa

tankpa Well-Known Member

Thanks Martin.. I guess my intended humor was lost in cyberspace. I guess since I am "new" I should tread lightly!
    To all others, thanks for the replies.. I am on a search for local peanuts! Olivehill, no offense meant.

16. Forerunner

Forerunner Well-Known Member

I have an extensive supply of unbroken Spanish peanuts. :)

On a case by case basis, I can help out a few who may be seeking good seed.
    PM me with requests and info.

17. olivehill

If I misread your emoticons, by all means, I apologize. I did not interpret them as joking.

18. tankpa

tankpa Well-Known Member

It's all good! My fault too! I will lay off the smileys... HA! They are just so tempting over there!

19. laughaha

laughaha Well-Known Member

Call Gurney's, tell them the problem and they will (probably) ship you out another order of the peanuts for free. I think they are owned by the people who own Henry Fields, and this happened with my Henry Fields peanut order and am getting another order shipped free. I figure if the second order only has 1/2 good (like the first one) I'll have my original total order of good peanuts to plant.

20. SueMc

SueMc Well-Known Member

After reading this I opened my 1# package of Virginia peanuts and found about 3 1/2 oz. split in half. I started to throw them away but placed a few of the halves with the embryo still attached in wet paper towel and plastic baggy. They are all growing! Will they continue to grow if planted?
    It's no big deal if they don't other than slightly annoying that 1/4th of my order is worthless. I really didn't need to plant so many anyway.
    I just wanted to share this experience and see what the pro's opinions were.