Rattler killed. Need help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Wolf mom, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

DH shot a young rattle snake by the front steps yesterday. Thank heavens for barking dogs.

My question is this: Is there any bait, etc. to kill them? :viking: I found the crawl space door to underneath my doublewide has a 2 inch crack in it and I'm afraid there may be a nest under my trailer! Nope, I won't go under and check :nono:

I will be one very unhappy person if I wake up next to one in the AM! Or maybe not...maybe I won't know.

2. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Wolfmom, last I heard was that dead snakes stink terribly... if you were to poison them and they die under the house, you might have a new problem on your hands. Maybe some of our "snake country" members know how to get them to come out from where they are so you could dispose of them in a more airy spot? If I remember correctly, people use smoke or gasoline fumes to drive rattlers out of hiding places - of course you couldn't use gas fumes under the house! But maybe smoke them out?

Do you know what kind your DH killed? Methinks I remember hearing something about some AZ species being protected. We don't have any rattlesnakes up here, so I haven't paid much attention to any of that. It'd seem like a good idea to either check up on regulations or do the whole thing quietly though.

3. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

:walk: Don't know any way to get them out IF they are under there. If they aren't, seal everything up good, and keep your rodent population down, as well as keeping dog food, etc, put up. Anything you can do to keep conditions inhospitable will help. Also, when winter comes IF you can keep it cool under there (maybe remove some skirting when it is cold and windy) they might move out. In the mean time, be sure your doublewide gives them no access--foam spray in insulation in any cracks, etc. And welcome to the world--you do learn to live with them in time. Or call a snake wrangler and let them worry about it.

4. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Mothballs will repel them out of the area. I use my sling shot to shoot em far under my place so I dont have to go into the crawlspace.

5. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I keep mothballs in the floor around the edges of my bunny barn because snakes are bad here now....so far that has seemed to help...

Husband killed a huge rat snake outside the other barn this week but so far this year we've found no snakes in the bunny barn (I'm almost afraid to write that....afraid I'll go down there now and there will be one!)

And I know there will be some of you that will say we shouldn't have killed that snake but they eat eggs, baby chicks and baby bunnies!

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe DNR will come and collect them for you.

7. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

There is nothing a snake hates worse than Gasoline.I have seen them writhe like crazy when just a few drops gets on them.The odor of it will drive them from anywhere, and you had better do it soon before they den up.Just slide your almost empty gas can in there with a stick or pole, and when evaporated pull it out with a hook by the handle.I have skinned many rattlers , and this may sound cruel to some, but you can actually slit the hide just a little after removing head, and then put gas near the hanging snake(minus head) and the dead snake will wiggle its way out of skin doing your job for you.Marty.

8. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Yeah -- I'm gonna do that. Right. Snake massage.

NOT!

Sorry -- I have no helpful suggestions... I'm too busy killing myself laughing over the "massage some cooking oil into the glue holding the snake"... LOL!

Tracy

9. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Malathion. Snakes HATE it and will leave. Other animals hate it too. Not explosive. S.

10. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Don't know how well this works, but mom used to slit bags of lime and throw them up under the house to get the snakes out. It seemed to work... or maybe they left because of the disturbance. Once she knew there were no snakes under there, she would draw a line around the foundation in lime to keep them from crossing back over and under the house.

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Malathion. Ditto.

We have watched a black snake crawl over the moth balls, so I'm not convinced about that method. :shrug:

12. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

13. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

I'm not laughing now. 10 million? Holy cow! Or 'snake', as the case may be.

I darned near burst a gut at the thought of me releasing a snake by massaging oil into it... nah. Not going to happen! Even garter snakes and I don't get along all that well, although I'll put up with them.

Tracy

14. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks everyone! :clap:

So far, I've edged, mowed, cleaned and moved everything that was too close to the house. Moved bird feeders so mice don't get the fallen seeds - even moved the wood pile!

I put a gas can under the house, temporarily. Tomorrow I go to town to get Malathion.

Next I build a new movable play yard for my chickens with a wire floor.

One thing leads to another...it never ends. If it did, I'd probably be bored :boring:

PS After all of the above is done, I think I'll need massaging, not a snake! :nono: