Rabbit Poop: do you sell yours? how much

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ceres Hil, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Ceres Hil

Ceres Hil Well-Known Member

So we are starting to accumulate a solid amount... A friend sells hers, we were going to use it as extra ferlilizer. Thoughts?

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We put all ours into the vegetable garden. It's just the best stuff. If the garden ever gets to the point where it can't use any more... I'll either get a bigger garden or just maybe try to sell some. But I'm all for improving one's own soil first!

3. Ceres Hil

Ceres Hil Well-Known Member

kinda what I thought!

4. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

my dh wanted to sell it. He had offers for $5 for a 5 gallon bucket.

5. o&itw

o&itw aka avdpas77 Supporter

For me it is so valuable as a soil amendment that I would never think of selling it... In fact I wish I had about 10 times the amount.

I even mix the dry pellets, with no hay etc included, in my potting soil....it seems to provide a nice slow release fertilizer.

6. brody

brody Well-Known Member

too valuable to sell here too :)

7. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've thought about it but if I get to the point where I don't need it in my garden I will no longer need the rabbits.

8. laughaha

laughaha Well-Known Member

9. ladysown

ladysown Well-Known Member

$5 for a 5 gallon bucket....I'd keep half and sell the rest. So what if it takes a bit longer to improve your own soil....use that money to buy rabbit feed to that you can keep producing that lovely result. :)

10. smilesnsunshine

smilesnsunshine Well-Known Member

I sell it for 25c a pound at the farmers market, complete with bits of fur, food, dirt, and pebbles. At an average of 3.33 pounds per gallon, that's $4.17 for 5 gallons.

When I get the permanent rabbitry going, there will be worm bins under the cages, so hopefully I will sell vermicompost for much more.

11. ||Downhome||

||Downhome|| Born in the wrong Century

I know a guy who does rabbits and pheasents mostly for barf people though he is in german country so Im sure he has his share of people buying for human consumption.

he said he went and got some bags printed up and bags his and sells to a local nursery and makes a pretty penny.

I am shooting for the worm casting thing as I also want to get into the bait biz so I can get two well paying products from it. theres enough horse farms around here I can get plenty of soil conditioner for a bit of time (most guys will load ya up and a few boards in the back of the truck and a chain makes unloading just as simple) and a little gas for the trip and you have plenty of fertilizer more then your rabbits would ever supply and almost as good.

12. smilesnsunshine

smilesnsunshine Well-Known Member

Just a heads up, in case you didn't know - fresh horse manure isn't good for worm beds, as horses usually have periodic worm treatments, which ends up in the manure.

13. ||Downhome||

||Downhome|| Born in the wrong Century

no I didnt make that clear or you read it wrong but either way everyone was saying they wouldnt part with there rabbit pellets cause it was too valuable as fertilizer well worms love it just as it is so the rabbit pellets are for the worms
    and then I can sell the worms and castings for some much needed income, as far as the garden goes thats where the hourse pattys come in Free and easy to get and again almost as good as the rabbit pellets. most of the places around here have the horse pattys already composted hard to get someone to take a fresh load.