Propane cooker leaving soot on pot bottom

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by pamintexas, Sep 30, 2007.

1. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

We have one of those propane fish cookers that I like to use outside for canning. However, it leaves a thick coating of black soot all over the bottom of my canner when I use it. Does anyone know what causes this and if the cooker can be adjusted to correct the problem?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm This Space For Rent Supporter

There may be an adjustment where the gas tube enters the burner. The flame should be all blue , no yellow. It should look similar to the one in this picture:

http://www.heaterradiants.com/Adjust.htm

You can also try coating the bottom of the pot with soap before using, and that will keep any soot from sticking

3. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Well-Known Member

Yep, sound like you should have an air adjustment on there that will control how much air is mixed with the gas. Gas burning properly will burn cleanly.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

4. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

probably a spider web blockiing the air intake for the gas mixture.......clean that out first before making any other adjustments....

5. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

All the above are good answers, also on mine once a small wasp nest was inside blocking the gas air mixture, burned red and smoked pot till I found it. It wasn't the nest burning, it was just preventing the proper air to gas mixture causing smoke and red flame. Eddie :)

6. pamintexas

pamintexas Well-Known Member

Thanks, eveyone, for your help. I found the air intake and I think that is the problem. Now I'm looking for a pipe cleaner to get in there and clean it out :hobbyhors .

7. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

i have one that did the same thing and the lil holes where the flames come out was rusted up and was almost blocked with the rust. i used a small drill bit to open them back up and it quit sooting, so check that also.