Processing in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rainedaze, Jan 30, 2017.

1. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I am wondering how others have their rabbits processed for eating. I would love to raise some for meat but know that no one in my family is going to be willing process them. Anyone near me know of a facility or others that are willing to butcher/process the rabbit? Thank you for any help. We are located near Wausau.

2. sammyd

sammyd Well-Known Member

South of Mosinee is a place called Mekong. You could ask there. We had them do a batch of chickens once and they did a good job...
    924 Locker Rd · (715) 693-1342

rainedaze and Solar Geek like this.

3. ridgerunner1965

ridgerunner1965 Active Member

rabbits are so easy. litteraly 5 min from kill to in the fridge for each one.

4. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

if you were close I would trade you cleaning for rabbits but your not , I bet if you call your county extension agent they can put you in contact with a family that will process your rabbits in trade.

5. LuckySpotFarm

LuckySpotFarm Active Member

I'm not sure about your state but in Ohio I've found that not many places butcher rabbits due to certain licensing needed. I know a friend who was in the same boat as you and by the time she found someone they wanted such a high amount it wasn't worth it.

They're actually super easy to process so most people just do it themselves. My husband and I (and occasionally one of my other rabbit breeder friends) can knock out quite a few very quickly. Our first time we did about 20 in 2 hours and that was with saving the hides for tanning.

I'd imagine when you add in costs of getting them butchered it may not be worth it for the little amount of meat you get off rabbits.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

How about a add on craigslist or similar-----most any hunter can clean some rabbits?