Price of dressed beef

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Yldrosie, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Yldrosie

Yldrosie Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what the going rate for freezer beef is? I found a rancher here that will sell you a live steer, avg. 1000 lbs. for $1.37 a lb. Finished, packaged, will be about $4 a lb. That seems a little high.

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

By finished to do mean he will grain it for another month or so? If so how is he charging to "finish".

We pay 35 dollars to slaughter and 33 cents a pound to process - (hang for 10 days, cut, package, freeze etc.)

Let's say you get the average (58%) meat to life weight. So for 580 pounds of meat you pay 1370 for the steer, 35 for slaughter and 191.40 for processing. Your meat costs 2.75 a pound. We usually are in the 64 - 66 range on processing cattle, bit higher on sheep and pigs. If your precentage for meat is better the price per pound is lower.

Unless you're paying something to "finish" sounds like the butcher is making too much money to me. Having a whole steer, you should call around and see what other slaughter houses are charging.

Pat

3. Yldrosie

Thanks, by, "finished" I meant butchered and wrapped. I will look around a bit.

4. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Don't know where in Nevada you live, but if it's near Los Vegas, Tahos or Reno, I'd call somewhere a hour or so away from the city.

Don't even think about calling another state though... Federal laws and state laws about livestock across borders is a royal pain (and could be expensive).

Pat

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

My mom just bought a side for $1.30 lb plus processing. She pays the butcher half of his fees, and the $1.30 lb goes to the guy who raised the steer. This is up in Washington state.

I've done that here in Arizona, but paid $1 per pound for the cow, then found another family to split it with - we shared butchering costs as well. If I had bought from one of the pastured beef producers advertised at the eatwild website around here it would end up being a minimum of $4+ per pound, some estimates were in the $5 and $6 per pound range. Too rich for me.

niki

6. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

We sell ours for $1.50 hanging weight and then the buyer pays their percentage of the kill fee plus $.40 cut and wrap. I'm on the low end, a neighbor sells grassfed Highlands and he says he gets $4.00 per pound.

Bobg

7. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

We paid $2.75 dressed, packaged, organic beef. $4 seems high.

8. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Just had one of my boys processed.
    Kill fee $25.00
    Cut/wrap/freeze @ .21 Cents a pound live weight.

If I was selling you one of my dairy steers @ 1000 pounds I would charge you $1.25 a pound live weight equaling $1,250.00
    Kill charge @ slaughterhouse $25.00
    Cut/wrap/freeze @ .21 cents $210.00

Your output for approx. 560 pounds of usable meat would be $1,480 dollars total. If your numbers differ greatly than you may want to re-negotiate....Tennessee John

9. Yldrosie

Well, Thanks all, for the input. Unioncreek, if I knew exactly where you were, it may pay me to drive up there. I haven't bought beef like that for a long time, and had no idea how much it was nowadays.

10. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

We just bought a side of beef from a local processor. 1.79 hanging + cut and wrap.

All in, we got 215 lbs wrapped and it came to 3.61 per lb. It's much better than store bought but not nearly as good as an 18 month old home raised beef.

11. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    I sell mine for $1.50 per pound hanging weight. The customer pays processing.(Killing cutting wrapping $25.00 to kill + .40 to wrap.) I sell all I can raise .... I think I am a bit too cheap, but share my country life anyways!

12. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

I just got in the mail a card from a local farm selling "Real Angus Meats" - their sales pitch is T-Bone steak is no sale now from regular $7.99 per lb to $6.45 and "Premium Black Angus Ground Beef" was $2.45 per pound, now $1.95...
    tell me - do you think they slip a red angus in there from time to time?
    I really think this price is outrageous - what do you think?

13. Old John

Old John Well-Known Member Supporter

I know a local guy who offers his Organic, grass-fed Highland Beef,
    @ $4.00 per #, hanging wgt. or $5.00 per # cut & packaged, for a quarter, or half a beef.
    He sells it all.......but not to me.

Guess it's all in what you want. And, in What you want to pay.
    I just can't afford to pay that much.

14. Gideon's War

Gideon's War Well-Known Member

Just like anything else, if there is a willing buyer who'll pay more..good for the seller. But also think about where you're buying the "cheap" meat. What did they feed them (if they even raised them)? You do get what you pay for. Walmart has cheap meat..but then again look at what you are getting. Typically "select" quality.

15. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hi, we are buying 150lbs, and its $3 per pound, including wrapped, etc. This is from a usda certified butcher.

16. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Tbone steak in a grocery store in No. IL will run at least 9.99 per lb and the real premium butchers are more than that.

Crappy ground beef is over 2.00 per lb. unless you buy bulk at Sams.

17. swollen tongue

swollen tongue Well-Known Member

$1.25-1.50 per lb. on the hoof. $50 kill fee and .50 lb. for cut and wrap. This is home growen and done right. This is about average for the western states.....southern states a little cheaper I think, but wages are lower there too.

18. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

How in the world do you find someone to pay that kind of money for beef on the hoof :shrug: $0.90 a pound will buy you the best grain fed beef walking at most any livestock mkt. in this country!!!!!!!!!! With prices like that I will custom feed and deliver to your door. You are surley meaning hanging wt. at $1.50 a pound.

19. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

Ah, I love reading the "homesteading" forum. I love to read the complaining about the price of well raised meats & vegetables. If you want to by WalMart grain fed, ill treated beef, that's your business. By the way, what kind of rig do you drive? I'm sure you'll spend more money on your car in a year than on the food you feed to your children. It's the American way after all.

20. JulieLou42

JulieLou42 Well-Known Member

Two years ago, mobile processor came and he charged $60 for slaughtering, $2.56 per pound for cut and wrap, cubing $4, and $2.10 to the State.

Bull was est. 1150# and hung at 688# = 59% carcass yield.

I sold half of him for $774, so he was $2.25#...and the processor said I did much better than most.

That figures out at about .34#, just what the processor said it was.