Homesteading Forum banner

platform for raising recliner

19K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ronbre 
#1 ·
My husband has trouble getting out of his recliner sometimes. I have a big cushion in it, but was told some people built a wooden platform to put under it to raise it about 3 inches.

Does anyone know how to do this. It would have to be good enough so the chair wouldn't slip off of it...Could you explain it to me??????Thanks

#7 ·
It wouldn't take much work to attach a linear actuator to a hinged base in order to make a lift chair so that the back of the chair raises and aids standing up out of the chair.

This site sells actuators for a reasonable price however none of them really fills the correct needs. This one is closest but pulls rather than pushes.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009071913364767&item=5-1580&catname=electric

At least you can get the idea. Two pieces of plywood or other with a hinge at the front of the chair. Actuator in back of the chair fastened to the two pieces of plywood that are extended behind the chair enough so that when reclined the actuator doesn't hit the back of the chair. A cord and switch simply laid in the seat beside the person or on a table next to the chair so that they have easy access to the simple control.

A little more complicated would be to use one of the air jack pillows filled by a small air compressor. Larger pillows are now used by rescue crews by smaller ones are available as well. More complicated and more cost.

#9 ·
It wouldn't take much work to attach a linear actuator to a hinged base in order to make a lift chair so that the back of the chair raises and aids standing up out of the chair.

This site sells actuators for a reasonable price however none of them really fills the correct needs. This one is closest but pulls rather than pushes.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009071913364767&item=5-1580&catname=electric

At least you can get the idea. Two pieces of plywood or other with a hinge at the front of the chair. Actuator in back of the chair fastened to the two pieces of plywood that are extended behind the chair enough so that when reclined the actuator doesn't hit the back of the chair. A cord and switch simply laid in the seat beside the person or on a table next to the chair so that they have easy access to the simple control.

A little more complicated would be to use one of the air jack pillows filled by a small air compressor. Larger pillows are now used by rescue crews by smaller ones are available as well. More complicated and more cost.
Just get an electric winch and attach it to a ceiling joist.....

#12 ·
we need a lift chair. The Dr has to sign for one in order for Medicare to pay $390 toward it. They cost anywhere from $600 to $1000. I was trying to think of a cheaper way. Dr wouldnt sign for it, as dh didn't have any trouble getting out of small, straight, drs office chair. When he goes to the dr, he tries to impress the dr instead of telling it like it is.:bash:

Right now I have some wedge things(for putting under your tires when you don't want the car to roll) under the back so it won't recline, hoping he can get out easier.

I like the block thing, but don't really know how to drill through steel that is the "leg" platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.