Photo/poster-1950's fantasy farm?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DJ in WA, Mar 17, 2007.

1. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got this poster hanging in the basement - my wife bought it years ago at a garage sale. It has copyright 1957 on it. Don't know how many farms actually looked like that. Old McDonalds and all. I can't ever seem to get my wife to dress up to feed the chickens.

[​IMG]

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Nice poster. Noticing the house...guess I didn't think folks were living in 'ranch' houses then (seems so 60's!) But I can imagine my grandparent's farm looking pretty much like that. And my great-grandmother was always in a dress and apron!

3. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

What a lovely poster! That would be framed and hung in my kitchen!

4. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

The livestock in the drive isnt right and the water at the end of it wouldnt happen like that but the rest could be pretty close.

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

That's not really dressing up (the wife I mean) it's pretty much how women used to dress.

6. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Hmm, all those babies and their putting hay in the barn. Also looks like they may be harvesting something in the background. (Its tan, so something ripe, not alfalfa). Wonder what is special about the one cow that gets to keep her calf, while the rest are being milked in the parlor.

Must be from some where much farther south than where I grew up.

Cathy

7. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a poster like that!

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a great picture to examine, especially if you would have been a party to scenes somewhat like this. The picture was the painters dream of what it might have looked like. Most things in the picture had a place on a farm somewhere from the early 30s until the 60s, but never all grouped together around one barn on one farm as shown here.
    If we only wanted reality, we could look at a photograph. The details put into this picture can hold our thoughts and attention for as long as our little hearts desire. It deserves a more prominate location for display. Unk

9. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

With all the fertility and fecundity in that poster, I'm surprised the woman isn't shown pregnant!

10. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

I like how fertile everything is - Cat has kittens, geese have goslings, cow has calf, mare has foal, chickens has chicks,
    mom and dad have child..

seems that is where we all need to live!

11. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Reminds me of those little plastic figurine sets I used to play with as a child ... everything had babies ... there were always mamas and babies, but as I'm sitting here, I don't seem to recall there ever being any bulls, or boars, or stallions. Hmmmm ....

:shrug:

12. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Just an addendum to the above. I do recall there were always roosters and ganders and tom turkeys. And, of course, there were often the human daddies and little boys!

'Scuse my ramblin's this eve. Been a long day. :)

13. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

The animals in the farm lane are a bit fanciful, but the lady of the house isn't dressed up, nor is the little girl. My grandmothers dressed like that every day for the most part back in that day and dressed their daughters (my mother and aunts) much the same way unless they had to help daddy in the barn then it was overalls.

.....Alan.

14. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

OK DJ, I am not far from you, have a checkbook and ready to deal. Whats it gonna take... lol

Seriously, it is a very nice picture. You need to find it a position of prominence.

Ted

15. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

The road runs off to the left of the pond like they had had alot of rain and that was a spot in the side of the road that held water, The combine is a pull type either IHC or AC , and theyre combining either oats or wheat. A cow that had just had a calf for a week or so back then they would/might have been left with the calf for awhile. Older brother is probably putting the hay in the hay elevator. That is a hay elevator, not a grain elevator. Those were a gleam in the eye of farmers back then. I never saw one till the late 60s. im guessing. The brown short tube is a corn crib. I would never think of putting up hay and combining on the same day. Whose going to bring in the grain wagon in and put the grain in the grainery (wherever that is) while older brothers bringing in hay. Also, everybody I knew practically still had a team back in the 50s. Course, this looks like a thourely modern farm. All the work theyre doing, I can see why she aint pregnant. He must be combining in the evening as they boy has got all the cows in the stalls. Maybe he has to milk while they do the hay and oats. lol

16. seedspreader

Are there any other markings like who printed it or who the artist was?

17. DJ in WA

DJ in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, shoot, maybe I should take it to Antiques Roadshow – could be the only copy left, worth $100,000. :)

Now, the basement ain’t so bad - it’s where I hang out most the time and where I am now. I’ve spent hours looking at this poster, seems there’s no end of things to ponder. I’ve become a bit attached to it, so would take a bit to separate me from it.

I did a search to see if there are others but no luck, maybe someone else is better at that. Here’s the info on the bottom of the poster:

SC-1275

Copyright 1957 by Field Enterprises, Inc, publishers of the World Book Encyclopedia and Childcraft

All Rights Reserved

Printed in USA

R-12-60

I learned that Field Enterprises was dissolved in 1984, so probably copyright no longer applies. Maybe I could take the poster somewhere and get copies made and send them out. It’s a big poster over 3 feet wide.

The field in the distance is wheat harvested by a combine pulled by a tractor.

In the mean time, if people want this as a screensaver, I’ve saved it here full sized:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/djinwa/IMG_1220-1.jpg

Edit: Bob, just saw your post, I gave above all the info I could find printed on the poster. Don't see any artist name.

18. Terri

Terri Singletree Moderator Staff Member

So was mine.

But, did she wear HEELS to feed the chickens?!

19. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

THANK YOU DJ.

It is currently my background. If you can get it copied put me on the list to buy one from ya.

Ted

20. seedspreader