Pellets Vs Crumbles??????

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by Reb, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Reb

Reb Well-Known Member

Good mornin all. I have another pesky question for you. I was in a rush when I went to TSC to get chicken feed. Mistakenly, I bought pellets, they were on the pallet next to the crumbles. I bought 2 bags as the snow storm was looming. My chickens absolutely refuse to eat the pellets.:nono: Now, I have been accused of spoiling the girls, but I WILL NOT grind these pellets to crumbles for any amount of money. Do your chickens eat the pellets? They look like rabbit pellets. Why in the world would they make something like this for chickens, knowing full well that NO - HENS DO NOT HAVE TEETH. :shrug: The only reprieve was the rain we ended up getting, which soaked the feed and made a kinda of porridge in the feeder.:grit:

Anyway, my question is: "Have you ever tried to return feed in an unopened bag to TSC?" I tried mixing the pellets with some baby crumbles and the girls just pick out the crumbles, leaving the pellets.......:indif:

The only good thing about pellets is my grackle problem has gone away as I guess they can't eat the pellts either........ Thanks, Reb

2. wmsff

wmsff Well-Known Member

I'm quite new to chickens; got mine in June of last year. I fed the crumbles at first, but moved to pellets and they are just fine. I have a mix of full size hens.

3. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

They WILL eat them. Just don't offer anything else. Chickens don't chew food. Mine used to get into the dog food, that was the size of a nickel, and they had no problem chowing down.

4. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

TSC shouldn't have a problem with a returned, unopened bag, with a receipt.

5. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

I don't often say "what she said", but...What she said :)

They get used to eating the crumbles. They resist new foods. Some really don't like the larger size, but it's really just crumbles in pellet form. There is usually less waste with the pellets, btw.

If you shake up the bag you'll find that the pellets tend to crumble on their own down at the bottom, if you're still not getting them to eat after a day.

6. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

make them eat it, it wont hurt them to go hungry for a day or two untill they figure out pellets are good for them,

7. devittjl

devittjl Well-Known Member

I like pellets, less mess, more resistant to moisture.

I have read that it is more effieciently used by the birds then crumble.

My birds will eat anything I throw to them.

8. Karen in Alabam

Karen in Alabam Well-Known Member

I have been feeding my chicks "flock Raiser" by purina. This was always in crumbles, and I bought a bag and now its pellets (doesn't say on the bag)

can new chicks eat that? I have month old chicks that are eating it, but have some due to hatch hopefully.

9. Reb

Reb Well-Known Member

Thank you. Y'all have a great day. Reb

10. cnsranch

cnsranch Well-Known Member

My experience with pelleys verses crumble is they dont waste as much if they flick the pellets out of feeder they usually will eat it if the crumbles hit the ground they end up bedding.at least thats my experience I go thru much less feed I also put a rubber feed pan under the hanging feeder and that helps catch some of the feed too. Karen in ala-i work at a feed store in n. Idaho we sell flock raiser its a pain because it doesnt say what they r on front of bag but it does on the tag...etts=crumbles.

11. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course I have ducks, but just wanted to point out that ducks waste crumbles horribly, probably 1/4 to 1/3 of crumbled food ends up wasted. I try not to feed anything but pellets after they are a week old or so.

12. WstTxLady

WstTxLady Well-Known Member

West/Central Texas......Coleman county out in the
    They'll get hungry enough & will eat them. If I accidentally bought pellets instead of crumble, I wouldn't go out of my way to make the birds eat them.

13. Wisconsin Ann

Wisconsin Ann Happy Scrounger

Young chicks have a hard time with pellets, I've found. You might want to crush some of the pellets up for the babies. Or pick up another bag and make sure it says "crumbles". After all...unless you only have a couple of chickens, you WILL use it up fairly quickly :D

14. bja105

bja105 Well-Known Member

I prefer pellets, because they waste less. Pellets also flow through the feeder better. At first, they didn't want them, but they figured it out. Now, we sometimes get crumbles, sometimes pellets.

15. Phillip

Phillip Well-Known Member

Pellets = less waste.

They will learn to eat them ;)

16. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Babies need baby food. Get chick starter, preferably unmedicated.

17. Illini

Illini Well-Known Member

Hi, Reb.

Believe me, they'll manage. I watched one of my girls scarf down a whole field mouse today so that she didn't have to share with the others.:)

18. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I got pellets time before last and they thought I was trying to poison them but they ate! They ate them better after they accidently got wet. This time I bought crumbles but they are so wasteful I'm going to go get the pellets and just throw them in together. Sheesh!

19. WstTxLady

WstTxLady Well-Known Member

West/Central Texas......Coleman county out in the
    chicks need crumble, they cant swallow & process pellets just yet.

20. KnowOneSpecial

KnowOneSpecial Well-Known Member

My girls get crumbles. I tried pellets and they went 3 days without eating them. I feed on the cement barn floor, so I'm not concerned about waste.

Spoiled hens give better eggs, don'tcha know?! :sing: