Ok I don't Mind Cats But

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by big rockpile, Dec 8, 2016.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok I at this time have 3 Dogs which to me is more than enough.

Last couple days there has been a Cat hanging around that likes me. I try absolutely not paying any attention to it other than not crushing it with firewood.

Last night it snowed and got cold, suppose to be cold again tonight. Went to fill Wood Box. Cat is there :facepalm: My wife won't let me have a cat and I figure if I feed it that it becomes mine. No feed it is on its own.

What to do? What to do?

big rockpile

2. Manny

Manny Well-Known Member

Have a heart.

Lady89 and Jen_Jen like this.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Call the animal shelter. If they have a shortage of cats take the cat there.

4. 01-7700

01-7700 Member

feed it outside - barn buddy cat

Keri, Ronney, gila_dog and 3 others like this.
  5. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Cats take care of pests, mice and other vermin. Good to have around in my opinion.
    I'd keep it or find a home for it.

Keri, Ronney, RichNC and 2 others like this.
  6. big rockpile

Well it is Female. Afraid it is going to find a dead rodent that has died of poison. Have been told most cases won't get enough poison to hurt it.

It was helping me outside earlier. My wife tried running it off.

In past I have had Cats and liked them but my wife won't hear of it. Animal Control only takes care of the City.

big rockpile

7. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

Maybe try craigslist? See if someone is looking for a barn cat?
    Not sure if that will work for your location but someone might need a cat?

Or- did your neighbor loose their cat? Why else would this one appear from no where and be friendly too?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    mnn2501, CountryMom22 and Jen_Jen like this.
  8. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Yeah, feral cats are not terribly friendly, either this one wandered away from its home or got dumped.

CountryMom22 likes this.
  9. big rockpile

I'm thinking it came from across the holler I have had many of their animals here.

big rockpile

10. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

Rock you eat possums. Cat would have to be better than an old possum.

Feed the poor thing and let it hang around. I have a stray I feed and see him catch a lot of mice, rats and ground squirrels around here.

CountryMom22 and Jen_Jen like this.
  11. LuckySpotFarm

LuckySpotFarm Active Member

If its at all friendly then its likely someone's pet or someone was lovely enough to dump the cat on or near your property and abandon it.

Cats are great mousers around the farm so they're not horrible to have. If you really don't want them then I would try asking around to your neighbors to see if anyone is missing their cat. We have two cats here and we do occasionally have a couple who visit. They have to have owners because of how tame they are but they don't stay long so they're welcome whenever to come and go as they please. If you can't find their owner then I would try putting them on craigslist or putting up flyers for a free barn cat. If you can't find anyone then I'd try to find a nonkill shelter to take her to.

Jen_Jen likes this.
  12. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

You might also be able to contact a trap-neuter-release organization if you're worried about it being a female and reproducing and just leave it out there. You should also check for a tipped ear (missing the tip of one ear) as that could indicate that it was already a TNR cat.
    The reality is that if you chase it away or relocate it, there's a very real chance that another cat will just take it's place eventually (or worse, a raccoon, skunk, possum, etc. that won't be good for your farm.) so you might as well just make sure it's not bringing 93825676 other cats onto the farm through mating and kittens... And then let it do it's thing. That's what I'd do.
    We can't have cats either. I'm not a huge fan and beau's allergic.

If you're worried about the weather, make a cat shelter out of a tote or something. Lots of plans online for that.

Lady89 and Jen_Jen like this.
  13. big rockpile

Oh I have ate Cat and Sparrows. Cat actually is much better than Dog.

big rockpile

14. big rockpile

Well the Cat came in the House via Dog Door. Dogs ran it back out.

big rockpile

Jen_Jen likes this.
  15. oregon woodsmok

oregon woodsmok Well-Known Member Supporter

Barn cat. It sounds like someone's pet that they dumped out in the country to "go and live on a farm"

I used to live where 2-3 animals would get dumped every week. First set of real farms outside the city limits. I just cracked one of the barn doors a few inches and arranged some hay bales so that a cat could fit in between the bales and have a chance of keeping warm. I bought cheap dry cat food and put some of that out where they could reach it.

They wouldn't last long. City cats with no street smarts. The coyotes would get them pretty quick.

If that is a nice sociable cat that likes people, you might be able to find it a home that wants a nice pet house cat.

16. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

If it is socialized enough to come in the house on its own, someone will likely want it. Post a free cat ad on craigslist. Be sure to be specific, otherwise you might get unwanted solicitations......:grin: But, I am a big softie with animals that aren't aggressive and just want a home.

17. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

as you do to the least of my little ones---or--I came to your house 3 times today---think hard,Rock

suitcase_sally likes this.
  18. oldasrocks

oldasrocks Well-Known Member

Feed the poor thing Rock. We had a stray show up here. He catches a lot of mice and rats.

19. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got one that showed up awhile back. It's living in the culvert under my driveway. I took one of those kitty litter pails, turned on its side with a clothes pin propping the top open and put a bowl of food inside. Its been eating it so far. It was -4 deg. when I did that. I piled snow around it to hold it in place, but the snow has melted in the past few days. I decided to feed it when I found it trying to eat frozen dog vomit. It had to be starving.

Attached Files:

GrannyCarol and Jen_Jen like this.
  20. JJ Grandits

JJ Grandits Well-Known Member

I think maybe you have a cat. Remember, God uses Karma and animals to prove our humanity, and animals have a wonderful ability to judge character.
    As far as the wife goes.........When I think of the dogs my wife did not want, and how unstoppable her tears were when they passed, She'll get used to it.