Nutritional Benefits of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I read this on another goat forum and thought bit worth bringing over here:

I think the last paragraph was added, I am wondering how exactly sunflower seeds would suppress lactation? Doesn't seem reasonable to me...good nutrition and a rumen that is functioning optimally should equal good lactation.

Discussion, anyone?

Oh, here's the other link to nutritional data on sunflower seeds---gives a very thorough analysis. Apparently these babies are very high in selenium, copper, zinc and iron too.
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20ne.html

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I have not found ill effects in milking from feeding it. I cannot figure out wht the science behind that statement would be. I mix my own feed and goes as follows 4 scoops oats , 1 scoop corn and 1 boss . Major science going on here ! the get all the hay they want . I also fee alfalfa pellets on a limited basis along with a good mineral mix.

My feed may not be perfect but is working just fine . I can also feed it to everyone horses , chickens , ducks and sheep.

Patty

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the article.

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have wild sunflowers - don't know if they are really related or not. My girls love to eat them. Unless there is something in the plant, the only thing I can think of is that the goats would fill up on the sunflower plants, and not eat enough dairy ration, or alfalfa, resulting in a drop in milk production.

I think the comment was about the 'whole sunflower plant' suppressing their production, not just the seed.

Niki