Newbie with questions....

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by HillBilly Heart, Oct 11, 2003.

1. HillBilly Heart

HillBilly Heart Member

Hi everyone
    I have some questions....I just got a female Calf. someone gave me a male...which I don't know what the breed is....is there anyway to tell? he is about one year...
    How long a life span do rabbits have? what happens when you mix breeds? I'm raising for pet and meat both....thanks and God bless

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

Life expectancy depends on many factors. Pets will live longer then commercial breeding stock. Commercial growers want the best growth rates in the shortest amount of time. Most also follow an intensive breed back schedule. Normally a doe will live a couple years and once production stats to decrease the doe is culled.

For best growth rates you are best to get the best stock you can. No problem using mutts if you dont care about your profit but it will take longer to grow and you will be putting more feed in to them.

3. HillBilly Heart

HillBilly Heart Member

thank you all for the great info.....wow....so much to take in...this is gonna be a nice fun adventure....DH just built our first pen and we need to build another one soon.....only have a cage for the female.....could someone explain how to raise earth worms that has to do with rabbit dung?
    We should do our first breeding the last week or first week in Dec.
    God bless

4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I raise the local nightcrawler here because they are best suited to my climate, and in demand by local fisherman. below is a link with some info about comercial worming with rabbits, good luck http://www.cyberstreet.com/kwfarm/raising.htm

5. HillBilly Heart

HillBilly Heart Member

Hey thanks and I'll check this out...
    :!: