New Intro to Animals test results! HELP!

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Mullers Lane Farm, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Thanks Nan! I will print it off.

(I now have a subfloor on the kitchen ... progress is being made!)

2. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Hi Cyndi! Welcome to our group! On the first page of this thread there is a list of what has yet to be tested. If it has been tested recently then it has a smiley by it. If it was tested a while back it has been taken off the list to give us a bit more room. I just print mine off and use it like that! It is easier to put it in the chapter I am working on that way! Let me know if I can help you in any way! Blessings all! Nan

3. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

I'm currently without a kitchen but would appreciate an updated list of things still needing testing. Just how do you guys keep up with what is tested or not anyway??

4. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Howdy everyone! Now is the time to add to our testing if you can! Carla is going to tally us up at the end of September! So get those recipes that are sitting around posted! You will want to get it counted! Thanks! Have a great and Blessed day! Nan

5. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Well, I saw that everyone else has their sticky and figured we needed one! :D If you have anything to add or any of the recipes to test...please add them to this thread and NOT the other one. I will print the list of the recipes we need tested below so that you will be able to see what is left! THANKS! Please help where you can ya'll! We have a tough chapter, but we can do it! God Bless, Nan

6. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

The list has followed us to this page! heeheehee! See what ya'll can do with the ones that haven't been tested. Again....look for the ones without a face by them. Those haven't been tested yet. The ones that were previously tested are omitted on this list so that we can whittle it down a bit.

PAGE 572 ROASTED BEAR MEAT #1
    573 ROASTED BEAR MEAT #2
    573 TERIYAKI SPARERIBS BBQ
    575 WILD MEAT, HAWAIIAN
    576 MUSTARD STEAKS
    576 :) WILD STEAK HUNGARIAN
    576 :D STEAK AND WATER
    576 WILD MOCK HAM
    576 SPICY OVEN-BAKED WILD MEAT
    576 BBQ SAUCE WILD ROAST
    576 WILD ROAST WITH DRESSING
    576 COFFEE WILD ROAST
    576 MOOSE POT ROAST WITH MUSTARD AND TARRAGON
    577 WOODSMAN'S LIVER
    577 WOODSMAN'S HEART
    577 STUFFED HEART
    577 KIDNEYS
    577 WOODSMAN'S BRAINS
    577 TONGUE
    577 CAMPFIRE MARROW BONES
    578 :D BRUNSWICK STEW
    579 SNAILS IN TOMATO SAUCE
    579 BAKED SNAILS
    579 STUFFED SNAIL SHELLS
    579 FRIED SNAILS
    579 SNAILS IN WINE SAUCE
    579 SNAILS IN GARLIC BUTTER
    579 FRIED SNAKE
    580 :D DORIS'S TURTLE
    582 :D HOME CANNED MEAT SANDWICH
    582 :D ALMOST INSTANT CANNED BEEF DINNER
    583 PURE SALT BRINE
    583 SWEET BRINE
    583 :D FANCY FLAVOR
    583 TAMARI MARINADE
    583 AN EASY DRY METHOD
    583 ANOTHER DRY METHOD
    584 MICROWAVED JERKY
    585 MY FAVORITE GELATIN
    585 COFFEE JELLY
    585 LEMON JELLY
    585 OLD-FASHIONED WINE JELLIES
    586 FRUIT JELLY
    587 :D GERMAN HASH
    587 PORK MINCEMEAT
    587 THANKSGIVING PIE
    587 FILLED MINCEMEAT COOKIES
    587 MINCEMEAT COOKIES
    588 MINCEMEAT JELLY ROLL
    588 MINCEMEAT MUFFINS
    588 CRANBERRY MINCEMEAT PIE
    588 MINCEMEAT-OATMEAL COOKIES
    588 MINCEMEAT APPLES
    588 MINCEMEAT BROWN BETTY
    SANDWICH MIXES
    588 :D HAM AND PICKLE
    588 :D HAM AND EVERYTHING
    588 :D OLD-TIME POTTED HAM
    588 CHOPPED VEAL
    588 CHOPPED MUTTON
    589 HAM AND CHEESE LOAF
    592 HEALTHY HOMEMADE SAUSAGE
    592 CLASSIC SAUSAGE
    592 CARLA'S DIGESTIBLE SAUSAGE
    592 OLD-TIME GARLIC SAUSAGE
    593 MARJAROM-MACE BULK SAUSAGE
    593 :) SEASONED SAUSAGE
    593 BOLOGNA
    593 LIVER SAUSAGE
    593 SALAMI
    593 BLOOD SAUSAGE
    594 GERMAN FRANKS
    594 KIELBASA
    594 :D DRY ITALIAN SAUSAGE
    594 SWEET AND SPICY SAUSAGE
    610 BROILED CARP
    611 DUTCH OVEN TROUT

These are the new recipes from the tenth edition:

Sauce for Salad Jellies Pg. 53
    Easy Crock Mincemeat Pg.55
    Crock Mincemeat with Brandy Pg.55
    Frozen or Canned Mincemeat Pg. 55
    Teetotalers Crock Mincemeat Pg. 55
    Pork Mincemeat Pg.55
    Venison Mincemeat #1 Pg.55
    Venison Mincemeat #2 Pg.55
    :D Sweet Smoked Salmon Pg. 58
    Spicy Smoked Salmon Pg. 58
    Recipe Ideas for Smoked Fish Pg. 58
    Just Salt and Smoke Pg. 58

7. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

By the way....I have looked and looked and looked for Intro to Animals 2! I can't find it anywhere>>>> Has anyone seen that thread anywhere? This is the third thread I have started and the second seems to have disappeared!

8. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Nan, that 2nd I to A topic is definitely missing. :( Fortunately, our wonderful Chuck keeps backups of all of HT. God willing, he will have a copy of this. Please post or e-mail me the EXACT name of that topic to help him in looking for it. Sorry about all this. It's probably my fault since it seems to have happened when I was changing all the current chapter topic threads into stickies. :oops:
    Carla

9. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I believe the topic thread name was Intro to Animals 2 or something close to that.... i have some of the posts i made from that missing thread if needed [i try to keep a copy of things i write just cause sometimes i have truble posting]

Why is it we get so busy during the busy season?

10. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Thanks blue3duk! I emailed Carla a while ago and told her that was what I thought it was too...but wasn't sure. I am glad that you thought it was the same thing!!!! I hope she finds it or Chuck finds it...or whoever......

Yes, the busy season is definitely busy! heeheehee! We are building a stanchion today so that we can milk my new first calf heifer Rosie! SHe just had a bull calf! A HUGE bull calf! She didn't have any trouble having it and her bag is huge...soooo...we have to milk her out..therefore we have to build the stanchion so that she doesn't drag my weary bones all over the pasture! 8O :D LOL! Then after all of that excitement I need to do some more beets. I picked blueberries and strawberries yesterday! YUMMY! THEN......I need to bring in the 3 clotheslines full of laundry and THEN start dinner! LOL! So.....goodness duk....I don't know why they call it the busy time of year!?! ;) :D :D I even took a 10 whole minutes and checked email and the forum this afternoon! Nearly a lady of leisure! :D :D :D Blessings all....I gotta go back to the stanchion and prepare to do battle with a Jersey first time mama!

11. Carla Emery

Chuck says he doesn't have a back-up of that one. We're on our own. He suggested that in the future I make my own back-ups, which I will. In the meantime, I've been unable to do anything on the computer for over a week because of a computer crash here and am just now back. Tomorrow I'm going to look over my Introduction to Animals file of past posts from TESTERS and see how much of the missing material I have in there. What I can find, I'll type in as a new post. Blu3duk, it would be wonderful if you--and any other TESTER who has a copy of their old posts that went into the missing thread--could repost them here. Will save me typing them in. I KNOW I have everything either entered in the 10th or waiting in line for that. The stuff that's waiting is what I can type in. But the stuff I already worked with is my problem. Usually I don't enter posts word-for-word. And when I'm done studying and learning from the paper printout, and entering info, I toss it. But I needed the originals to post on my website when we do the public, searchable version of the TESTER posts, grouped by chapter and arranged in page number order. So if you've got some of those missing posts, please re-post!!!
    Gratefully,
    Carla

12. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I kept track of what was tested by using those little smilies...and if it is a smiley it was an ok recipe! The only recipe so far that was iffy was the Shepherd's pie and that was a toss-up because some liked it and some didn't! We lost the thing about raising catfish I think? Wasn't that on there? And I think that Brian tested some Sausage on that one.....and Blu3duk tested some recipes too. Glad that duk thought to save it!!! Some of the recipe tests were duplicates, but they had some other interesting things to say too. We had lots of comments on the pages in the book from several different people!!!! Maybe we need to put up a sticky that says HELP>>>>>we lost the Intro to Animals 2 thread and need to replace as much as possible of it! Then you could steer them back to this thread and they can add it . I may be getting the threads mixed up...some of the above may be on the first thread....???.....I will check and see...

13. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Well, I have the catfish entry and also the sausages from Brian...so don't know what is missing! UGH!!!! and they say you don't know what you're missing till it's gone...heeheehee! :D

14. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

ok here is the ones i have listed in my backup file.... not everything i had posted, but some of them and most were on the #2 posting

William

10th edition additions or opinions or observances as may be...

Page 20 -
    * Mowing hay - most hay crops cycle from being cut in 28 days if proper moisture is given them, sprinkler irrigating being the most accurate of such. however if watched, the cycle for each piece of ground from natures waterings can be determined on year by year basis.

page 21 -

Feeding hay - Some people will notice that the smaller parts of the hay get eaten first, leaves and such, and would be prone to chopping baled hay and feeding it to cattle, however, those cows will get compaction from not having the longer stems to help the shorter piecces to agitate in their stomaches [best way to put it], also it can coat the stomache lining causing digestion not to occur at all. a mixed feed may allow you to utilize more of the hay you feed [chop 30% , baled hay 70%] talk to a veterinarian before starting this type of diet.

* silage - grain that gets rained on can be harvested by swathing into windrows, with the conditioner removed, let dry, and then combined for grain, however the misture content will be higher, and the grain more likely prone to mold or mildew, thereby it can be saved by using it for a grain based silage, instead of combining the grains, chopping is done with a chopper that picks up windrows instead of a flail type chopper. We saved a 40 acre crop one year that rained out, however we combined the grains out, let the straws dry a few days, and then baled it, as we had a clover crop planted for the next year, we had a mild mix of clover leaves baled in the bales, and the grian did not thress properly so there was barley left in the bales as well, the cattle passed up the realy nice alfalfa we had for them and ate the "straw bales" first.

Page 24 -

* Body temperature - use a good Veterinary type thermometer the one with a hole in th top for addition of a string.... add the string before you lose the device.

* Animal Reproduction - Defintitons -
    - A.I. = Artificial Insemenation [not intelligence]
    - Teats = the long things hanging from the udder that barely lets you grip it so as to milk the animal on a first calf hiefer, or where the milk comes out of the udder.

* helping with birthing - Donts....this actually happened here near the cultural hub of the universe, a fella moved here bought a ranch, 100 head of cows, and bred the cows to a bull that threw large calves, he pulled 7 calves that all died... the reason...he used a 4 wheeler

* Chilled Baby - do not lay anything directly on a heating pad, pads can be hot enough to actually cook the muscle of any living being. a better method is to have a couple of palstic water jugs that can be filled with tap water no hotter than 115 degrees F scalding starts to occur above that temperature rapidly. Cover the animal with a wool blanket [military surplus type works well and are inexpensive [<$20] check the toungue with your finger for temerature if its cold keep up the water bottles.

Page 30 - Disease and infection

* Cuts - A really good salve from the veterinary perscription only is a product containng Silver Sulferdiazinine 1% the silver helps keeep down infections, @$25.00 per pound tub it isnt for everyone but a little goes a long way.
    An old time remedy my dad kept on hand was:
    1 part flowers of sulfur
    2 parts lard with just a little kerosene to make it easy to work with [apply]

* Infections - Penicillin G with procaine dosage as per intructons on the bottle will take away the most sever infections in a couple treatments. It has become about the only over the counter antibiotic available to the general public.

Page 31 - Disease and infection cont.

* Pneumonia - Combiotic is no longer available even througha veterinary thereby you have a choice of penicillins available for treatment.

* Scours - dont treat with Kaopectate as a matter of course, use a thermometer to determine if there is fever or not, there are several reasons scours occur. e. coli, Clostridals, Rota ans corona viruses can be vaccinated against before birth, but prevention is the best treatment keep ing animals in a clean environment is best prevention to calf scours as well as other animals too. Stopping scours can bild up toxic levels of infection and kill a calf or even a large animal quickly.

page 35 - Large animal checklist

NEVER wrap hot meat in plastic of any kind so as to prevent spoilage from occurring! the meat must breathe while cooling out. If you purchase bags for deer hunting to put sheep or goats into, WASH first, some contian chemicals that promote spoilage for some reason.

Page 36 - Basic bird pudding -

* It is best to add birdseed into the cooked suet so as to permit the birds to get the sueet out of their beaks, otherwise it will lead to them not being able to get water and thereby dehydrate and die, from lack of water, not lack of food.

15. Carla Emery

beauglady posted Tue Feb 25,2003
    Wild Steak Hungarian p. 576, 9th ed (2)
    DH disliked the paprika flavor. I didn't like the sour cream. Seemed like it should have been better than it was. I even added mushrooms.

Steak and Water p. 576, 9th ed (4)
    We made this on top of the coal stove the day of the blizzard last week. Tough meat usually takes closer to 2 hours to get tender when simmering in liquid, not the 45 minutes the recipe says. The additional cooking time will help develop flavor in the sauce, which doesn't have a lot of flavoring ingredients added. I cooked mine about 6 hours over really low heat.

Bunswick Stew p 578, 9th ed (5)
    Finally got around to this one. Used a nasty little rooster, though I've made this before with squirrels. I also added chunks of potato and a pinch of thyme.

Nan posted: Thu Feb 06, 2003
    Thanks Brian! I added your tested sausage recipes to our list! 2 more bite the dust!...and THANKS for the extra info on the stuffing! Good addition to that part of the chapter!!!

Rena, I marked Doris's turtle down as tested by you because your recipe is very very similar to hers. Only big difference is that she fries her's first and then bakes it instead of putting it in the slow cooker! Both are good ideas! So...3 more recipes have been tested today!YIPPY KI AYE! Great work team! Everyone keep up the wonderful contributions! It is so interesting to see what everyone writes. We all have different backgrounds and have lots of neat ideas to add!!! Thanks again ya'll. Nan

Elizabeth1 posted on RAISING CATFISH
    About two years ago,my husband and I had a fish pond built, which had always been a dream of my husband's. The first thing that we started with was my husband digging out stumps with his backhoe. (I would have hated to do this using a shovel.) Another man graded with his bulldozer to try to make the pond's bottom smoother and to move the stumps out of the way.While he was digging, he dug a hole to fill with red clay for the dam. When they got it so far up, we put a pipe through the dam and another pipe connected to it sticking up in the pond with a close-off valve. (We got all of this at our local hardware store. The pipe was special ordered because of the size.) Then they went on up with the dam. When they finished, the next morning my husband, daulghters and myself went to the pond and closed the valve to let the water start building up.

About three to four days later, there was enough water that we were able to stock the pondwith fingerlings (baby catfish). We knewa man who hada fish hatcvhery and who was able to deliver them.He had a pickup with a bank on the back to hold water that contained the fish. Weended up having 10,000 fingerlings put into the pond.

About two days later, we started feeding them AQUA-FEED that we get from our local feed store. At first, we fed them every day. Once winter started, when they bed down in the bottom, we might feed them just once or twicea month, depending on the weather. We started feeding them regularly again during the spring.

The first spring, we started fishing and caught a few big enough to eat. This past spring and summer [the second spring],we started to let people fish in the pond. One time two men came and caught 101 pounds in about 3 hours. So far, the biggest catfish that has been caught from our pond weighed about 4 pounds.

We were told that it would take several years before the fish started laying eggs, but ours laid last year and hatched out fingerlings. We knew that because we caught several little ones. I threw them back to let them get bigger, unless they had swallowed the hook (that would have killed them anysay).

The best place that we have found information is the county extension office or someone who raises catfish themselves.
    By Elizabeth Watts

In response to Nan's comments, Elizabeth1 continued:

Nan, I loved to watch the fish eat also.Itis amazingthe way they come to the top of the water to eatthe floating food and the way the water seems to roll while they are eating. The only thing I like better is eating something that I don't have to go to the grocery store to buy.

16. Carla Emery

Nan, if you e-mailed everybody on the I to A list telling them of our problem, maybe more could help... Here are more that I have that I think are from INTRO TO ANIMALS 2...

mamascheets posted Mon Mar 3,2003:
    I finally have a chance to do some posting. I decided to start with Rocky Mountain Oysters (also called beef fries,sheep fries, "whatever animal"fries). These are VERY popular in the Midwest. A local bar has all you can eat every Friday and they are always packed.There is even a town here in Nebraska that has a weekend festival called "Testicle Festival." I am serious.They have every type of animal "fries" that you can think of. This is a very rich flavored meat. I personally love them. I rate them a 5. However,those who don't like a very rich type meat find them too rich a flavor. If you can try them without knowing what you are eating, you have a better chance of liking them.
    MAMASCHEETS

farmmamma3 posted on Sun Feb 16:

Hello everyone. I think we are all on the road to recovery. I did test the Ham and Pickle. We thought it was pretty good. I added some onion. I used a cheap ham product. I imagine it would be supergood with a real ham. I also tested the Ham and Egg. It didn't have much flavor, soI added some dill pickle juice and that added some zing to it. Then I tried mixing the two together. The Ham and Pickle with the egg was good. Over all, I would givethe Ham and Pickle a 4 and the Ham and Egg a 3, because it was a little bland. Have a good week.
    Dawn

mamascheets posted Mon Mar 03, 2003:
    Wild Steak Oriental: I dissolved the cornstarch in about a cup of beef broth and added 1 T brown sugar. I added extra veggies (green beans, red peppers, and mushrooms), brought mixture with steakto a boil, and then let thicken. Served over rice. Made this with half deer and half antelope. I also fried meat in soy sauce. Family loved this. Rate a 5+++

Hungarian Wild Steak. I served it over homemade noodles. Cut deer meat into bite-size pieces. Hubby and kids really like it. They rated it a 5. Iwasn't as impressed. About a 3 in my opinion.

Green Pepper Wild Roast. I added onions instead of tomatoes and sliced meat in small strips. Used antelope meatand put mixture in hoagie-type buns and added cheese. Rated about a 4. Could have used a little more salt.

Liver and Onions:
    The kids didn't like the liver soaked in salt water as well as liver soaked in milk. Rated 3-4.

17. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

That is a good idea Carla. I will do that as soon as I can. I have company this week till at least Wednesday. Just checking in with ya'll this evening. Take care all and THANKS for adding to our thread!

18. Carla Emery

Kelle in MT wrote:

Hello Nan, here are some of the recipe tests using moose, 9th ed.

Onion smothered Roast,pg 576. Rated 3. Needed to add 1/2 to 3-4 c. water or a broth to keep the moose moist. Itwould work well in a crockpot too.

Green Pepper Wild Roast, pg 576. Rated 5. I added 1/4 c. soy sauce the second time Imade this for added flavor. I sliced and served over rice. Very delicious!

I have another good crockpot roast recipe that can be used on any cut of meat (even tough).

Roast inthe Crockpot: 2 c.chicken broth,1/3 c. soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. ginger, 4 tsp. chopped garlic, 1 med.onion, chopped fine. Brown roast on all sides. Add above ingredients. Cook on low 4-6 hrs. in the crockpot. Itcan also be done in the oven on 325F for 4-6 hrs. The liquid makes a wonderful gravy (strain out onion and garlic pieces) or... [I'm missing whatever comes next.]

SW Ohio evaluated the pictures in the I to A chapter. Here are some of his comments:

Pg 13: Great shelter graphic and good fence section/gate drawing at bottom of page.I am not fond of the gate drawing at the upper right hand corner. Hard to read around as itgets in the way of the text. Iam not sure what detail is supposed to be shown in this picture.

p. 15 Without cross bracing, I wonder how the wire has managed to stay straight on the gate section. Not easy to read around.

p.18 Consider adding the plant name under the drawing.

Pg 44 Where's the tag? Use caution when packing out like this so as not to get shot in the back.

p. 62 Top excellent. Bottom,that is how we did it (twisting the links after the length of casing was stuffed), but the text describes twisting as you go, links or rings.

mamascheets posted Mon Mar 17

In this chapter Carla refers to "Forschner knives." I love this type of knife.This is what we used at the culinary institute I attended. I have found a great online store to purchase them: www.theknifestore.com .

Basic Bird Pudding
    We made this before Christmas. I forgot about it, but apparently the birds liked it because when we checked on it, the bird pudding was all gone. We shaped an aluminum disposable pan like a bell. We poured the bird pudding mixture into that and then used a tin snip to a little of the pan. The pudding then came out easily.

Fried Wild Meat with Jelly Gravy
    Used chokecherry jelly, probably more than 2 T. I rate this a 3 or 4. I liked some bites, but not others. Maybe too much tartness in the jelly?

Almost Instant Canned Beef Dinner
    The BBQ tasted funny on rice, so we spooned it onto bread and made sandwiches. Rate a 1 on rice, but as sandwiches, rated a 4. The next time we made it, we used a gravy instead and rate that about a 4.

German Hash
    Added a little allspice. We like it fried until it is a little crispy. Rated a 5.

Ham and Everything Sandwich.
    Added shredded cheese and finely chopped onion. Rated 5.

Old Time Potted Ham
    We really didn't like this--too much fatty taste. Rated 1.

Trumpkinland posted:

OK, here goes a few of Carla's recipes that we have used what seems like forever:

Page 47, Doris's Turtle Excellent! A rating of 5 for sure!Takes a whileto clean compared to other meats, and more care needs to be taken to prevent bites. The jaws seem to still be strong enough to do damage even after the head has been off the body for hours or days! Put the head in a very safe place where it can't hurt
    you by accident.

Page 47 Gourmet Fried Frog Legs Excellent! The wonderful smell alone can wake you from a sound sleep!! Another rating of 5, even if you don't use the lemon juice.

Page 49. Almost Instant Canned Beef Dinner. A rating of 5 for speed and simplicity.Even if company suddenly shows up, this will work. Or, instead of BBQ, use canned (home or boughten) cream of mushroom soup.

Page 49 Home-Canned Meat SandwichThis is a regular for fast meals at busy times, like hay season. Canning brings out the best flavors in meats! A 5 for ease, simplicity, and taste.

Here is a recipe we made and it has just finally aged long enough to taste. It passed our tests with flying colors. It is called Mild Salami, but it isn't extremely mild.

8 pounds lean pork, cubed
    2 pounds pork fat,cubed
    5 Tablespoons salt
    1/2 cup brandy
    1/2 cup dry white wine (we used our own apple wine).
    2 Tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
    1 Tablespoon finely ground white pepper
    1teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 Tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon garlic,finely minced
    1 teaspoon finely ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon finely ground coriander seed
    1 teaspoon finely ground fennel seed
    1/2 teaspoon ascorbic acid
    1 teaspoon saltpeter
    4 feet large(3 1/2- 4 in. diameter) beef casings

1. Grind meat and fat separately through the coarse disk.
    2. Mix the meat and fat together and spread out on large pan in freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
    3. Grind the meat on medium.
    4. Mix in remaining ingredients.
    5. Cure in refrigerator 24 hours
    6. Prepare casings.
    7.Pack mixture into casings and tie off into 12 inch links. Dry for 8 to 12 weeks.
    Hang to dry in cool area with low humidity. We aimed a fan at it for the first couple weeks of drying, to help move moisture away from meat.

Fran
    Trumpkinland Farm

19. Carla Emery

Nan, what I have here are the print-outs that were in my "put it in the 10th maybe" file. So I'm typing all this stuff in. That's why I only have new recipes and test reports with critical or extensive comment. If somebody says "Great recipe 5," that's nice, but it doesn't go into the file to go into the 10th because I ain't gonna fix what ain't broke. I also don't have the lists you made or the posts that were in the encouragement and appreciation category. Now, of course, I'm really wishing that I had printouts of ALL of the file or, better yet, a hard drive copy, but I don't... And I don't have printouts of the posts I already entered in the 10th because, after I do that, I'm in the habit of tossing the original.

beulahland posted on Tue, Mar 25:

9th edition, pg 586 - Gravy - 5. Excellent recipe. I loved the comment about not measuring. Perfect. When adding milk to an already bubbling pot of gravy, I put some hot mixture in a measuring cup and add the milk to that, then add back to the pot. Keeps the milk from curdling.

pg 587. White sauce.5
    Great with hot noodles, sprinkled with Parm cheese.
    Debbie

Kelle in MT posted this Thu,Mar27,2003:

I noticed that, when it comes to Canned Fish,in the 9th ed. there isn't any recipes, except the plain kind. I'd like to offer a recipe that I've used for years. My DH and DS are both fishermen and usually our freezer gets to overflowing, so I can most of it. Here's my recipe:

Canned Fish
    Cut fish into 2 in. pieces. Fill wide-mouth pint jars to within 1 in. of the rim, packed tight.
    For each jar of fish, combine and heat: 1 tblsp. oil, pinch of salt, 1 tblsp. vinegar or lemon juice, 2 Tblsps.Ketchup, 1/8 tsp. pepper, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce. Pour hot ingredients over fish to within 1 in. of rim. Wipe jar rims and screw on sterilized lids. Do not overtighten. Pressure cook at your altitude's pounds (10-12 lbs) for 1 1/2 hours. Eat from the jar or I substitute it for tuna on sandwiches and in casseroles. Enjoy!

20. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

Umm have I missed something? Woodsman's Heart wasn't that from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs? I have heard that it can be really tough and bring you to tears. :D