New from Western Oregon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AnchorRanchFarm, Nov 20, 2016.

1. AnchorRanchFarm

AnchorRanchFarm Active Member

Blessings all.

We (married couple, infant son, and giant-breed who thinks she's a lapdog) are starting up a small multi-species pastured livestock farm (50 acres) after working other jobs and on other people's farms for a while. Fans of George Henderson's techniques (Farmer's Progress)...with modern modifications. We're starting slow with just a few animals because we don't want any more debt than the mortgage. So basically homesteading in the short-term and hoping to build a profitable enterprise longer term.

We know less than many about keeping livestock but more than many about running a small business. We look forward to sharing tips and information.

ShannonR, dsmythe and CountryMom22 like this.
  2. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Welcome!

Many people start with (and I also suggest this) chickens or rabbits as far as livestock goes. They are kind of 'gateway' farm animals, if you will. This gives good experience in feed, fencing, basic farm animal care before you start actually getting into official livestock species.

Goats are fun beginner animals, too. But either you love em or you hate em... One thing I can say though, is if you can keep goats (especially ones with horns) fenced in, you'll have no problems with critters like cattle or llamas. Pigs can still be difficult to contain, talk about hard on fences...

Please keep us all updated on your homestead and your eventual business progress!

3. WannabeWaltons

WannabeWaltons Well-Known Member

Nwelcome, I have never heard o Grorge Hendersens Farmers Progress and love finding new sources of inspiration and information.

4. Jollyhomestead

Jollyhomestead Well-Known Member

Welcome! I have a small farm with horses, goats, and chickens. And a few dogs, cats and a baby as well :) It sounds like you have some good experience (that I don't) and I look forward to reading about your progress.

Kathie
    www.jollyhomesteading.com

5. wdcutrsdaughter

wdcutrsdaughter Well-Known Member

6. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Sorry if these are sideways, and I hope this helps your plans a little bit.

Attached Files:

AnchorRanchFarm likes this.
  7. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Can't wait to hear about your adventures. As has already been said, start small. The learning curve on a beginner homestead can be steep (read expensive!).

Good luck!