Nest boxes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sassafras manor, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:25 AM.

1. sassafras manor

sassafras manor Well-Known Member

At what point should I remove the nest box after the kits are born? The kits are 25 days old and beginning to make a mess of the box. We had 18 degrees last Tuesday night and our lowest temps for the next 2 weeks is 30 degrees tomorrow night. Thanks

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I always turn the nesting box on its side--as soon as they start jumping in and out---keeps the mess from collecting. I remove usually 4 to 5 weeks---according to how cold it is.

3. sassafras manor

4. sandj81

sandj81 Well-Known Member

Generally eviction day is at two weeks. In very cold weather I give them an extra week. I do put some hay down in the front corner of the cage for a week or so after the box is removed.

5. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I remove the hay from the nesting box when I lay it on its side. Laying it on its side gives them a area to cuddle up in and stay warm. Hay would fall through the wire some and being I collect the poop below the cage---the hay falling through gets in the way and messes up my poop screens. Eating hay goes into special built hay feeders to control waste. So "WE" all do what works best for our set-up!!

6. LuckySpotFarm

LuckySpotFarm Active Member

We evict ours about 3-4 weeks at the latest. It depends on the litter and how warm it is. In the summers I've evicted them as early as 2 weeks. Its usually whenever they start consistently leaving the nest box.

7. sassafras manor

I pulled it out yesterday afternoon. They were spending more time playing around on the top of it than anything so it is out, cleaned and ready for the next doe. Thanks