Need quick answer - lbs. of meat per cu. inch in freezer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JWK, Nov 17, 2010.

1. JWK

JWK Well-Known Member

One of my farmer co-workers just called me today and said a steer they had butchered is ready to be cut tomorrow. Someone backed out of a lot of it and I can buy as much as I want for a really good price. I have to tell him in the morning how many lbs. I want and what cuts.

Soooooo, I want to get as much as I can without buying another freezer. The chest freezer I have is only 7 cubic feet. Anyone have any idea how many lbs. of roasts and steaks fit in a chest freezer by cubic foot? I took a quick look at Lowe's this evening and they have 7, 9 and 15 cubic feet freezers. How much freezer do you need for 100 lbs.? 200? More? Some of you butcher cows and steers. Someone must have a ballpark idea.

Side question: It's coming on winter and I've read that it's not good to keep your freezer out in the barn. I can't remember why. If I bought a freezer I would pretty much have to move it out there.

Thanks for any info.

2. PastTense

PastTense Active Member

3. JWK

JWK Well-Known Member

Thanks! I found out about the freezer in the barn. Not happening...

4. ann in tn

ann in tn Well-Known Member

Is is a manual defrost or a frost free. I thought it was only the frost free you could not have in a carport, barn etc... because of burning out the motor.