my goat is limping

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamajohnson, Sep 25, 2007.

1. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I can't figure out why either. She is favoring her left front leg. I have looked it over good, nothing in her hoof, no broken skin, no swelling, nothing that I can see. She was limping just a bit yesterday, and it is more pronounced this morning. Any suggestions? should I wrap it? Put horse liniment on it?

2. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I had a goat that did the same thing. He would hold it up and did not want to put any pressure on it at all. I felt all over the leg and up to the shoulder, as I got to the point of shoulder he pulled away. I think he just twisted it and it was really sore. So I gave him asprin (horse ) two times a day for ai don't know maybe a week, and he was fine after that.
    I get the goat just twisted it and will be fine. try the asprin

3. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

Prolly a butting injury. As long as you have checked the hoof and run your hands over the leg and found nothing, he'll recover on his own.

4. mamajohnson

that is good news! how much asprin would you give a small goat? she is a pygmy mix, on the big side for a pygmy, small side for a goat. (does that make sense??) I was thinking she may have stepped in a hole or something.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

maybe her hoofs are too long?
    i have one doe, if i'm not up to date with trimming, she starts limping.
    she always looks like she is on high heels.

6. mamajohnson

well, I did miss hoof trimming last week, but when I checked her over good I looked at that specifically. They need trimming, but not excessively. Actually, that was the first thing I checked! She did pull away when I got to her upper leg, so it is something up higher than then knee.

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if hoofs are not properly trimmed, it can put a lt of stress on some joints.
    trim her feet and see if she improves.