My correspondence with Hellmann's Mayo

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by ladycat, May 22, 2007.

1. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Hellmann's has been implying in their advertising that their mayo is all natural. I went to their website and couldn't find any information about what they put in their mayo. So I emailed them:

Does Hellmanns have any GMO ingredients? Does it have artificial additives? Does it have MSG or other glutamate flavor enhancers?

Here is their reply:

It is our policy that any of our products which may contain ingredients created through the use of biotechnology, be proven that their safety to consumers and the environment is fully established.

Biotechnology has the potential to help meet the demands of people for everyday products that are more environmentally friendly; that involve less processing; that are more functional; that taste better; that last longer; that provide added nutritional benefits; that are customized to an individual's lifestyle; and that are currently available. Biotechnology is important to Unilever (Lipton etc,) because it helps our mission as one of the world's largest consumer goods companies to continue to deliver innovative products that our consumers tell us they want. Products resulting from biotechnology have been used successfully and safely for many years - for example: in the pharmaceutical industry.

We are also committed to the provision of the best possible information to the consumer. The FDA has had a sound labeling system in place for biotech foods since 1992. Under that system, biotech foods must be labeled if they are found to be significantly different from their conventional counterparts, or if they contain allergens. This is the same basic program that safeguards the conventional food supply in the United States.

Since there is no difference between plants or foods derived from biotechnology and those not derived, there is no clear reason to label either respectively. All of our products are labeled in accordance with the rules and regulations of the federal government.

It is our responsibility at Unilever - and a responsibility we take very seriously - to make certain all of our ingredients are safe. We believe biotechnology is already significant and that its development will continue to bring major benefits to society as a whole.

Thank you for your interest.
    Your friends at Hellmann's

I will never buy any of their products again. My list of "safe" brands keeps getting smaller and smaller.

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Couldn't they have just said, Yes

Don't like it when they big companies feel they have to explain their reason without giving you a straight answer.

3. countrydreamn

countrydreamn Well-Known Member

ladycat
    would you mind sharing that list?
    I have to avoid MSG as it gives me raging migranes, but I also try to keep it out of our children's diets as well.

Blessings,
    Debi

4. hedgeapple

hedgeapple Well-Known Member

good for you, ladycat. in the past, i have made homemade mayonnaise, but don't now because of the hype that raw eggs may be unsafe. i contacted the local extension office to see if there was a way to do something to the egg to take care of this but i got the standard line about never do this with raw egg, etc. etc etc. i have a question, though, and from your posts you seem to be thoughtful and knowledgable on the subject of food: i notice a number of the old recipes called for vinegar or lemon juice, so i wondered if this would help kill off any bacteria. then again, maybe it is overstated. what do you think? also, i started a thread once addressed to you but i doubt you ever saw it - i was wondering if you ever ordered from sun organic and what you thought about them. thanks.

5. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Oh I hear ya'. Isn't it kind of funny how short the time is you spend in the grocery store......I walk in and am usually back out in less than 10 minutes because there just is so little I'm interested in buying.

Now my co-op that's another story....I could spend hours there!

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
  7. ladycat

My list is primarily organic, and I don't trust some of the organic brands.

The best way to avoid GMO's and chemical additives is to buy organic staples like dry beans, rice, flour, etc and make everything from scratch.

ETA I forgot to mention, Heinz uses non-gmo ingredients, but not sure if they use msg.

8. ladycat

Vinegar or lemon juice should make it pretty safe, just keep it refrigerated and use it up pretty quick.

Sorry, didn't see your question before. No I never ordered from them, but I order a lot of organics from Amazon.com

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Ugh. Mine just got shorter too!

10. Melissa

Melissa member

There was a cooked mayo recipe posted on here a while back. I keep wanting to try it, will let you all know if it works out.

11. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

Thanks from me too Ladycat. I just bought Hellmanns mayo within the last hour. I should be able to exchange it. Georgia.

12. Lucy

Lucy Well-Known Member

About the lemon juice or vinegar in the mayo. It won't help if you have salmonella in the eggs. That is the concern with eating homemade mayo.
    This is some information I have :
    Can Shell Eggs Be Pasteurized?
    Shell eggs can be pasteurized by a processor if FDA approves the process. Pasteurized shell eggs are now available at some grocery stores. The equipment to pasteurize shell eggs isn't available for home use, and it is not possible to pasteurize shell eggs at home without cooking the contents of the egg.

I know you can buy pasteurized eggs in the store. So, it is up to you if you feel safe eating the unpasteurized eggs in homemade mayonnaise or not. I won't because I have health issues that I would not risk it for myself, but that is my personal opinion.

13. ladycat

Be sure and tell them WHY you're exchanging it. :angel:

14. chickenista

chickenista Original recipe! Supporter

I feel comfortable eating my own eggs raw. I lick the batter etc...So I would have no problem doing it for myself, but if I won't even eat a cooked store egg....

15. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I want thinking about cooked mayonaise. Eggs are the reason I don't like homemade mayonaisse - I can't taste the raw eggs.

16. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

Never yet tried Hellman's. Hit don't matter a whit to me....

Send unwanted Hellmans to:
    P.O. Box 1423
    Gallup, NM 87305

17. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

sorry, i would but costs too much for postage from here(smile)
    Georgia.

18. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    "Hellmans" is branded "Best Foods" west of the Rockies.

I think egg pasteurization is a good idea if salmonella is a worry in your area.

My local egg farm tests their chickens for it and has never had salmonella in their chickens over the past 50 years, so I don't worry about it when I buy their eggs. It is a regional issue, some areas have a lot of it and others don't.

Here is an article about the egg pasteurization process. It uses only heat--nothing exotic like x-rays or anything like that.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/microbiology/9367

19. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Awwwwwwwww, maaaaaaaaaaaaan!

I used to love Hellman's. Well, I still love the flavor, but now I won't be buying it. Refuse to use Kraft, too.

Doesn't leave me much option.

:grump:

Pony!

20. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'm learning to make lots of dressings using EVOO. You can add just about anything and make a good dressing out of it. I'm learning from Rachel Ray on 30 min. meals. She does a different dressing on lots of her shows.