multiplying onion

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by SquashNut, Sep 3, 2011.

1. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Is there a multiplying perenial onion that multiplies at the base?
    i tryed a few of the topset onions/shallots and they would fall over into the pathes of my garden.
    It would be nice if the onions were at least as big around as a quarter or even bigger.

2. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
    kenn likes this.

3. wanda1950

wanda1950 Well-Known Member

for years Mama had a row of an "onion" she called multiplying onions. They didn't really form a bulb but had pretty big green tops & stayed there year round. She was in southern west Tn so usually winter wasn't too bad but it would freeze hard a few times every winter. Does anyone know what this is? I have tried many times to find some but nothing looks like these did. If I remember correctly they produced a purpleish blossom on top of the onion blades.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

White multipliers and potato onions will both make a quarter-size bulb but they won't keep doing that forever. They have to be harvested and planted again. Otherwise there is nothing that fills your desires.

Martin

5. Larkie

Larkie New Member

Does anyone here have multiplying or piggyback onions for postage or sale? thanks..

Larkie

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

If you mean walking onions, I have 4 varieties. They are Catawissa, Heritage Sweet, Red Egyptian, and True Egyptian. Any single variety could be sent for about $2.

Martin