More apples

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by Echoesechos, Mar 18, 2017 at 7:43 PM.

1. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

why can't I say no to them? Three boxes of apples today. So more applesauce and some canned apple pie I'm thinking.

I've never cooked red delicious, has anyone else? Not sure they will be any good but at 25 pounds of them better figure something out. The 50 pounds of gala is easy though

2. arrocks

arrocks Well-Known Member

Do you dehydrate at all? Red Delicious tend to turn really mushy when canned IME so dehydrate them in slices whenever I get any. They are also good for baking and then freezing - stuffed apples, plain baked apples, apple cobblers to bake later, etc.

3. Echoesechos

Echoesechos Well-Known Member

I've not done much with red delicious before except eating them. I might dehydrate them though. So how would I prepare them for baked apples etc? Good ideas there.

4. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Well-Known Member

My mom likes red delicious for pies, what she does in the fall is to make pies and freeze them unbaked. She then increases the baking time and covers the pie with foil for the first half of baking. So convenient to just pop a homemade pie in the oven for holidays, birthdays, potlucks, or company. She not only makes them in round pie pans but also has a couple made on cookie sheets and calls them sheet pies, very nice when you need to feed a crowd.

5. arrocks

arrocks Well-Known Member

Works the same for making Baked Apples. Just core, stuff with your favorite stuffing like butter and brown sugar, mincemeat, oatmeal and brown sugar, etc. - hundreds of recipes available. Wrap the apples well in al. foil, double bag or vacuum seal and freeze. When ready to bake you just set the apples in a shallow dish with a bit of water in it and bake as normally.

Echoesechos likes this.
  6. n3ttst3r

n3ttst3r New Member

I mix them with other apples and make apple sauce or apple butter with them.

Echoesechos likes this.