Meat rabbits - first timer question

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by AndreaNZ, Sep 12, 2003.

1. AndreaNZ

AndreaNZ Well-Known Member

Hi, all -- didn't want to get TOO specific in the subject line... I just need a little encouragement and some helpful hints as to the slaughter of rabbits for meat. One of our does had her first litter 12 days ago, and I know it's still several months away, but every time I look at the little furballs, I think 'can I do the deed.' I'm trying to be matter-of-fact about it, our children know that we're going to be eating these rabbits (though they are being allowed to each keep a doe as a pet/future breeder), and I've got a good book with pictures (and I have no problem at all with doing chickens - done hundreds of them). I also assisted a friend do a couple of sheep, so I have firsthand experience with skinning and gutting. Any experiences that you'd care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Andrea
    NZ

2. gefozarks

gefozarks Well-Known Member

For one the time is not as far in the future as you may think. Most fryers are butchered at about 8 wks of age. It is good that you and your family are seperating the pets/breeders from the meat for your table. Many of the publications online show very well how to dress out a rabbit. I think skinning them is a lot easier than plucking a chicken. You also don't have to singe any pinfeathers. I raise New Zealand Whites I guess no matter which breed of rabbits you are raising they will be New Zealand. :oops: Good luck with your rabbit raising and ask any questions you may come up with. Remember too that what may work for one rabbit raiser may not work for another one.

3. frogdog

frogdog Guest

Which book do you have?

Thanks,
    Liz

4. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

If you're rasing a meat breed you don't have months. You should have five, maybe six weeks from now. I raised NZ whites. They all looked the same. At eight weeks they were just another not-cute-anymore rabbit and another batch of 12 day olds were starting to get cute.