Meat rabbit buyers in MI?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by krabbitry, Jan 29, 2011.

1. krabbitry

krabbitry Well-Known Member

Hello, I raise New Zealand White and Californian Rabbits. I am looking for someone to buy fryer and/or roaster rabbits. I currently have about 20 does, but will expand when I get a steady buyer. Do you have any suggestions for different people that buy them?
    thank you!!!

2. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

There are a few folks around here that buy fryers from me but I didn't intend to sell any when we started, we were just raising them for ourselves. My buyers have all been by word of mouth, folks know we raise them, & so on.

Where are you located in Michigan? Have you thought about running an ad on craigslist yet? Some folks that feed there dogs raw would be interested in rabbits too I would think.

3. krabbitry

I am in plainwell/martin area. I do sell quite a few by word of mouth, but I am looking for someone to buy on a regular basis. I am hoping to eventually sell 15-20 litter per week.
    Thank you for your response :)

4. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Check out the list of rabbit processors on the ARBA web site at: http://www.arba.net

Pat Lamar

5. Kwings

Kwings Well-Known Member Supporter

I found word of mouth works really well, I have two people at work, one who wants to buy 2 or 3 rabbits off of me every week until she gets her freezer then it will be more and the other wants to buy whatever I have when I have it available. also there are two others who want to buy a few when I get going. Not to mention family who wants to buy off of me or trade me something for rabbit.

I also have people lined up to buy some babies as pets. I'm getting a nice white and black spotted doe from a girl at work whose father in law got her daughters a rabbit that doesn't like people so shes trading it to me for one of the babies my Holland lop has, which is a great deal IMO.

6. GypsyDals

GypsyDals Well-Known Member

How much are you asking for each. I am not too far away from you.

7. krabbitry

I have checked the arba website, but there isnt anyone in my area. My price depends on what size you want, how many/often you want them, and if I bring them to you or if you pick them up. For fryer size between 4.5 and 5.5 lbs it would probably be between $1 and $1.25 per lb live weight. Where are you from GypsyDals?

8. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

Your selling them live & not butchered & dressed out then?

9. krabbitry

Yes, I am selling them live. I dont have a place yet where I can dress them out for other people. I do it for people that I know personally, but I cant do it yet for anyone else.

10. AugustRED

AugustRED Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up on the ARBA processors, some have runners or will pick rabbits up if there's enough (check surrounding states). I just started selling to someone who's meeting me halfway (45mins for me). If I had more to sell - 70+ at a time he'll arrange to pick them up at my place (I only have 5 does). BTW he found me on craigslist so putting an add up in several of the nearest ones isn't a bad idea. If I had the room I'd be tempted to enlarge my rabbitry but I'm at max capacity as is...

l1ttlebutterfly likes this.
  11. 4444austin

4444austin New Member

Hello, I am a Chinese restaurant owner, I am looking for at least 5 -20lb rabbit meat per week. My email is 4444austin@gmail.com. Feel free to contact me about your product.
    And we can discuss details in the emails.

Thank you.