Loom Plans?

Discussion in 'Crafting' started by seuraaron, Feb 10, 2010.

1. seuraaron

seuraaron Guest

Does anyone have measured drawings for a floor loom or table top loom? I am wanting to build one.

2. CamM

CamM Gefion's Plow

http://www.pugpro.com/loom/Loom2.pdf

Here are some plans for a simple tabletop. I've been thinking of building a hybrid of backstrap loom using a sort of rigid heddle mounted on a pole like this one.

3. designer

designer Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. Countrystyle

Countrystyle Well-Known Member

5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

there must be a hundred different kinds of looms. do a search on making a loom or kinds of looms. some are so simple, some are most complicated. It basically depends on what you want to make. a simple loom is where to start until you conquer the skill then move on but I don't recommend building a complicated loom until you have the patients to spend with it.

6. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

Look for this book in your public library -
    Wheels and looms : making equipment for spinning and weaving
    by David Bryant.
    190 p. : ill.
    Hard to find, but has lots of great plans for making wheels and looms.

Have a good day!

7. th_Wolverine

th_Wolverine Well-Known Member

Came across this post as I too have been looking for a loom pattern, yet despite the fact that these devices have been around for centuries, these days people all want you to buy a book about it! So, in researching what few poorly written plans I have found and watching videos on the workings of these style looms, I'd be happy to post my findings, patterns, and instructions to this forum to allow others to be able to freely build themselves a table loom. I will post a new thread and link it to this page as soon as I have something to show for it :)

MullersLaneFarm and rabbitgeek like this.
  8. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a little confused by the term "table loom" since there is more than one type of loom that can fit on a table. Rigid heddle looms are basically a two harness loom that can fit on a table. On the other end of the spectrum are the multi harness/wire heddle looms that are elaborate but still small enough to fit on a table. There are other variations between the two. So once it is determined what one wants to weave, how wide, how many harnesses, etc., then one can commence to design it.