lemon juice/fruit fresh

Discussion in 'Preserving the Harvest' started by carogator, Sep 27, 2010.

1. carogator

carogator Active Member

Please tell me how much lemon juice you use to replace or substitute for fruit fresh when canning? Thank you.

2. judylou

judylou Well-Known Member

The only thing Fruit Fresh is used for in canning that I am aware of is as a color preservative. How do you use it? I may be wrong, honestly I don't think many use it routinely. When dehydrating, yes. But there aren't any standard canning recipes that call for it specifically.

The only time I use it is as a pre-soak for peaches or apples to keep them from darkening before I get them into the syrup. If you want to use lemon juice for that purpose the usual dilution is 2 T of lemon juice in 2 cups of water.

3. carogator

carogator Active Member

Thanks for the info on lemon juice. I use fruit fresh as required by my recipes for canning pears, apples, peaches, potatoes. Usually 1 tsp. per quart sprinkled in jar just before adding syrup.

4. judylou

Then for all of those I think I'd want very little lemon juice added because of the pronounced flavor change it will cause. Rather than the 2 T used in a pre-soak, maybe just 1-2 teaspoons instead in the jar. But that is just a guess on my part.

Have you ever tried just using either the Fruit Fresh or lemon juice as a pre-soak as the current recipes recommend rather than adding it to the jar?

5. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

I don't use either Fruit Fresh or lemon juice. Judylou's right; lemon juice will change the flavor of your final product, and both options are expensive.

I use vitamin C.

I sent hubby to the Dollar Store for some, and he brought home a bottle of 1000mg tablets. I crush a couple in some water and use it for my dip. No flavor transferrence, and the colors of whatever I have in it stay bright. It lasts a long time, too; and per use, is very cheap to use.

6. carogator

carogator Active Member

Hadn't thought about that, but Vitamin C is supposed to be ascorbic acid, the same thing. Thanks

7. offGridNorthern

offGridNorthern Well-Known Member

I use 1/2 cup lemon juice per 1/2 gallon water. You have to watch the fillers in the Vitamin C tablets -- they may turn the product cloudy. Each drug company uses different fillers in their products. It won't hurt you, but won't win prizes at the local Agricult. Fair, either. I prefer the old way... and since I use it as a dip to retain the colour, it hasn't affected the taste of the food.

8. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

Salty water can also be used.

9. judylou

carogator - as you can tell most of us use the ascorbic acid sources only as a pre-soak rather than adding it to the jars themselves. There is no safety issue involved, just color preservation, so you might want to give it a try and see if the results meet your expectations. Much easier and less risk of flavor changes.