Lame gilts

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Kathy, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Kathy

Kathy Member

I bought 3 weaners in July (born about mid June) and now notice that the 2 gilts are lame. I think it is in the hips as one of them must sit down while eating and the other cocks her rear leg like a horse while standing. They both move very stiffly and sometimes it looks as though it is also in the shoulders but I am new at pigs and don't really know how a pig should move. That's why it took me so long to admit that they were lame as this has been happening for at least 4 weeks and maybe more as the one that sits has been doing this for awhile. Are pigs suseptible to arthritis at such an early age? If it was just one, I would put it down to having bumped herself while horsing around but now that the two have this I am wondering if it is a genetic thing like hip dysplasia in dogs. I don't think it is their feet as the one definitely sits while eating as though it had sore hips. Anyways, I'm pretty disappointed in these pigs and I am really watching the second batch (3 weeks younger) that I got from the same breeder. I know that when I tell him about this he will say he's never seen or heard of such a thing. Could feeding cooked cabbage (they get 1 cabbage and other veggies in the evening in a slop) or split dried peas cause this? They get the commercial pellets in the morning. I fear that these 2 girls will not be able to make it to 200 pounds and now I am getting pretty stressed trying to guess at what point I need to take them in to the butcher's while they can still walk. At this point their appetites are good and they can make it to the waterer. I hate these mysterious ailments :(

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Try This page

It might explain

http://www.thepigsite.com/PigHealth/Search.asp?SUB2=Lameness&SUB2ID=333&RetID=

3. Kathy

Kathy Member

I've done a bit of research and I think they have infectious arthritis. I have put a phone call through to the vet to see if he thinks it is worth treating. I was really hoping I wouldn't ever have to catch them :rolleyes: