killing Poplar tree stump....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Miz Mary, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Got the buggar cut down ..it was sending out runners into the drain field....
    HOW DO I KILL THE STUMP ? I left it about 20 feet high, to hang things on...but want to kill it !

2. Old Vet

Old Vet Well-Known Member

Well since you left it that high the only way to kill it is to ingect it with roundup. You can do this with an injeor hatachet or teke the bark off (Girdel the tree) just abouve the ground and pour roundup in it. Use the 50% solution full strenth.

3. Rocky Fields

Rocky Fields Failure is not an option.

Hey.

Drill lots of holes in the stump and put a high strength copper sulfate solution in the holes.

RF

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes. That'a the way we'e killing off box elder stumps too. My DH is using a power drill and pouring the Roundup into the hole.

5. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

You know how I feel about Roundup.

Drill holes & pour in cheeeeep molasses or any sugar. It will break down naturally.

Patty

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I would say if you girdled the tree (debarked it completely around the base, you wouldn't even need the round up then.

7. Old Vet

The only reason to use roundup is to kill the roots so that they will not sprout. Girdiling the tree will kill the stump but not the roots.

8. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

That's right!

We do't like Roundup either but if you're familiar with box elders, they will send out a lot of roots after they're chopped down. Hatethem,hatethem,hatethem.

9. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

We don't have any poplars but we have mimosa. It's pretty hard to kill and driving copper nails into the root base will do it. Similar to the copper sulfate suggestion made by Rocky Fields. The copper sulfate would be faster I think though.

Copper nails are roofing/flashing material and can be found in a lot of hardware stores.

10. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the roots sending out shoots. But if you keep clipping the shoots off, it surely wouldn't take long for the roots to use up all of it's reserve energy would it?

I thought they were saying the tree was sending out shoots ON the tree - not around it.

11. Sand Flat Bob

Sand Flat Bob north central Texas

I see you have lots of suggestions saying drill holes and fill with roundup. A much better killer than roundup is any product you get at Walmart or else where that contains 2.4-D. Just drill the holes and pour it full strength in the holes. This is what is recommended by the County agents office here.

Bob

12. Old Vet

All the recomendation that are here will kill the stump, but it will also cause the stump to break down and go away exept the 2-4-d. From the hight yu said you left it I thought you wanted to save the stump but not let it grow. If you want to get rid of it just cut it off at reound level and pour coper sulfate on it and it will decomosed naturilay. If you want to keep it either use roundup or 2-4-d on it and it will kill the roots and not have sprouths come up.

13. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

Round-Up is less toxic to the environment then Coca-Cola and table salt.

Round-Up is the way to go.

Pete

14. Old Vet

Round up only killes the plant that you get it on nothing else. 2-4-d is also avalible but if you use it full strenth it gives off a vapor that can be carried by the wind and may posibaly make any other broad leef plaint grow in a funny way or even kill it.

15. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

You could girdle it and then mow the suckers every month or so until they all die out.

16. pinfeather

pinfeather Well-Known Member

We pound bits off copper pipe (it helps to have a plumber friend) into stumps to kill them.

17. Nel frattempo

Nel frattempo Well-Known Member

We have killed back several types of stumps, some left tall like yours, but just pulling off the suckers that come out. No Roundup and no other chems, just keep pulling off the suckers and it will die back. It may be annoying to keep pulling off the suckers but at least it is less chemicals.