kerosine heater

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Oct 15, 2003.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I took my kerosine heater on my hunting trip- ands it worked fine, but I didn't run it over night due to the last episode where I woke up choking from heavy black smoke-and very thankful I woke up- it could have asphixiated us.This time I ran the heater at a higher level and it worked fine- no smoking at all.Last time I had turned it down before going to bed, and it obviously was the wrong thing to do.
    Question- should you not attempt to turn down kerosine heaters, but run them pretty well full out?

2. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

I run mine low enough that there is no flame shooting above the "mantle" but high enough that the "mantle" glows red. This one is about 5,000 BTU, rectangular in shape with removable fuel tank. I run it all the time day in and out when needed.

3. JWH123

JWH123 Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Dave-

You don't want much flame going above the burner/mesh screen thing, but you definitely want it all red. I usually have one or two licks of flame going above the mesh by maybe 1/4 inch, I assume those are from little bits of wick that are longer than the rest.

I don't really think there's much variation in heat output on kerosene heaters. Either on or off.

I realize this is just a hunting cabin, but do you think it would be worth it to put a smoke and/or CO detector there? Take the battery out when you leave and put the detector and battery on the table so you see it when you come back.

Better than waking up coughing. Or dead.

John

4. ratherbefishin

I used the kerosine heater in a wall tent, and this time I ran it so it glowed red, right to the top of the mesh mantle., but not so the flame was showing above it.
    I'd appreciate any comment on the smoking though- that was potentially very dangerous.Am I correct that it was a result of turning it down too low?

5. sionosis

sionosis Member

yep either that or running it to low on fuel either one will cause that and wall tent or no you can still use a co detector if worried about it occurring again small price for peace of mind......Bob

6. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

I would have it serviced or maybe a new wick is what you need. I had put mine into my greenhouse in early spring it it blew black smoke all over everything !! What a mess trying to wash off plastic greenhouse walls and pots and plants and that is what was the matter with mine.

7. ratherbefishin

Looks like lots of wick left- should you trim the wick from time to time,or just leave it?

8. Connerbill

Connerbill New Member

You are correct about not turning the flame down too low. It causes poor burning. I always leave some flame visible. I have learned a couple tricks about getting odor-free heat. Be sure your Kerosine is dry (no water in it), store it in plastic containers (steel drums will make it age faster), and let the unit burn itself out completely every third day or so, if you are burning all the time. This process lets the wick clean itself. I don't know of any occasion where you would trim a wick. I purchased my kerosine heater in 1986 and burned the same wick until 2002. I burned at least 300 gallons of kerosine with the same wick. My second wick lasted only two years but it was not OEM made. In fact, I don't think my heater is manufactured any longer, it is a Comfort Glow GC11B.
    My heater began smoking recently, so I took it all apart. I found that the wire mesh was loaded with tar so I took a propane torch and burned it clean. I have not been able to check the burn because I also need a new wick.