Ivermectin dosage for Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Briza, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Briza

Briza Well-Known Member

We rescued a 6 month old buck today and the owner did not know what kind he is- he looks like a Palomino- built very blocky-beautiful head- calm and sweet- and eaten up with mites!!! He has a lovely golden color with a peekaboo light grey undercoat in places- lavender almost- he looks peach and lavender!

So can any of you help?
    I have looked but cannot find the ivermectin dosage by weight for rabbits.
    We have on hand the 1 percent cattle injectible.
    I wanted to do injected because I have been told it works better for all the different kinds of mites. I have found oral dosage after dilution with propylene glycol so will just do that if I can't find injection amts.

I started with his ears and champho phenique in olive oil but from the looks of where he came from and who he lived with he needs the whole 9 yards as far as mite treatment- thank goodness for isolation cages.
    Thanks for any advice and I will get a photo when he looks better so you can help me ID him. His head is lovely and he is in very good flesh just parasite ridden. TIA!
    B~

2. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

2-3 drops to the back of the head [behind ears] will clear this up. You don't need to inject it.

3. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

Oral or injection dose is the same: 2/10 cc for every 10 lbs of weight...repeat dose twice more, two weeks apart.

Example:
    Nov 1st: first dose
    Nov 14th: 2nd dose
    Nov 28th: 3rd and final dose

I researched this when treating ear mites only. However, the study I went off of recommended the same treatment for fur mites as well. I concluded that going orally was the better option...little to no side effects. Ear mites started clearing up with 2 days and were totally "gone" by 1 week in. I continued treatment, however, to kill the cycle of the mites.

4. Devoville

Devoville Well-Known Member

5. Briza

Briza Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. He looks amazingly better with just the oil treatment.
    Appreciate all the input. And the link.

B~

6. nzw tom

nzw tom Well-Known Member

I use 3-4 drops on the shoulder blades for fur mites. Only had one problem with a neww rabbit. Cleared it right up. I used the 1 % cattle.