Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Teacupliz, Jan 17, 2012.
I have a cow I want to induce labor in,
Out of curiousity, what makes you want to induce labor?
couple reason, edema and she is very over weight
Just talk to my vet he agrees
I am still worried.
Okay, thanks. I wasn't being critical, just curious, hadn't heard about inducing labor in cows.
I hope someone can help you out and good luck.
I guess your vet knows best, but I hope you're confident about the cow's due date.
IF you seen her udder there is not much question,
Know I bought her bred but her eddma goes all
the way to her brisket. I am going to ponder a couple days.
I always worry
Let's see if I've got the facts correct. I don't want to assume anything.
1. Your Vet says she needs to be induced into labor, yet you have no idea what it would take to induce labor.
2. You have no idea when she was bred, so don't know her due date.
3. You are judging her "need" to give birth based on the size of her teets and extensive edema.
Have i got those facts correct?
No I have her due date is Friday
I know what to use to induce labor
She does have endma all the way to her brisket
She is also over weight which is a factor to not letting her go
past her due date.
Teacupliz, has your vet actually examined this cow or was this advice given over the phone?
I believe inducing cows can cause them to retain the placenta. I don't think inducing is done very often. Anyway, I would certainly encourage you to be cautious about this and maybe even get a 2nd opinion (not by telephone).
Hope it goes okay!
if it was this Friday coming up.4 days away ..I would just wait let nature take it's course no matter what she looked like......
my Jerseys when it looks likes the udder will explode on a older cow is when they get milk fever if I do not give them the calsuim gel before during and after
Well, you've let your cow get over weight, based on the guy you bought her from, the "due date" is close, so let's get in there and get that calf out, there's not a moment to spare....... whatever.
I sure hope what you have in mind is something a midwife might use, like sassafras tea or mulberry brandy. but I'm afraid you intend on using something that really works, like Prostaglandin.
You asked for help inducing labor in your cow. In two of your four posts, you mention you are worried. While you have had several replies to your posting, none have mentioned that they are worried. We are. Inducing labor complicates birth, creates a needless risk to the cow and almost certain death to the calf. What if you are a couple weeks off or that the calf is just a bit of a slow developer? Lungs are the last to develop and if you end up delivering a live calf, there is a real possibility she'll suffocate in your lap.
You want help? Here's the best help I can give: Don't.
I also would not induce labor, when the calf is ready to deliver, they position themselves for this. The calf could be turned wrong for delivery, and you could have problems. In all my years I don`t think I have ever heard a vet want to induce a cow, unless it was an unwanted breeding. > Thanks Marc
I realize the risk, there is also risk in not doing it. In the future you should all be a little more kind and not so bossy, in your post. I used to be a regular on homesteader, that way years ago. None of the people who were here before are still on. THough I value your thoughts. THey are just thoughts.
On the flip side, I had talked to others who have induced, with no ill effects.
I would never do any of this half heartly, I did post before the vet came out today.
Hence my concern. Thesea re not pets, they are our babies.
giving that fact risk both way.. YES I AM SCARED.
I did not let her get over weight but am kind enough to deal with in and
spend time worring on what is in best interest for THIS COW.
Please let us know how it goes.
What did the vet have to say?
Did you get your calf yet?
Nobody here wishes you or your cattle any harm, I hope you realize that.
Farmers tend not to sugar-coat their opinions.
I think they are bossy by their very nature.
There are a lot of us original Countryside forum people still here. Lots.
So what did the vet say today? I don't know anything at all about inducing labor in cows, but these guys here know quite a bit. I have learned tons from them all. I get worried too when ours are due and am constantly checking on them. What kind of cow is she?
MINE says joined Dec.2004 yours says Nov. 2003 I think that makes me a old timer...
I would milk her if I wanted her to calf now IT WORKS ON HORSES....I AM SURE IT WOULD WORK ON COWS on just one teat a teat in the back that will do it....and hope the calf does not suck that teat first....
I would wait till she has it on her own...if it was a month more not sure how fat she ( you did not post us a picture to see how fat she is ) but a heifer that was fat I might be concerned....but not a cow unless she came out of a feed lot on full feed with fat around her tail head
this would be the people I would ask how to induce a cow
one that have done it with no ill effects
Hopefully your vet has got things covered for you. As I'm sure he told you, trying to induce at this late date with a shot of Lutalyse (prostaglandin) won't work like it does in early gestation. You need a shot of dexamethasone (corticosteroid) to get things going.
In my experience, induced labor in the cow can produce a slow dilation of the cervix, with contractions sometimes starting before the cervix is fully opened. Assistance at calving may be needed.
If your cow isn't too old, the best way to deal with extreme udder edema is to start milking her out right now. However, if she's older, and overweight, your risk of milk fever is increased, and milking early could just make things worse.
With only 4 days until her due date her weight shouldn't even be a factor. Any complications due to her being overweight are still going to be there today as well as 4 days or a week from now.
As for the edema, there are things, herbs, that you could be giving her to help this...or the vet could give her something specifically for the edema, a diuretic, and wouldn't need to induce labor.
I don't think that inducing is a good idea either or will influence the outcome in a good way. It just adds more potential complications that the ones you are already dealing with.