I'm a sucker

Discussion in 'Goats' started by geminigoats, Aug 20, 2003.

1. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Hi brandi!

Vicki & Goater got ya covered with help and advice til your vet gets out to you. I can't say you're a sucker, cause i would ahve done the same thing to I think. I used to live in VA, and interestingly enough, you're the 2nd person in 2 days from VA on here posting.:):) You're off to a great start.

Bernie

2. Brandi in VA

Brandi in VA Well-Known Member

LOL Hubby says I'm a sucker for anything with a cute face. I have to remind him that I ended up with him so my suckerness (yes not a real word) must do some good. lol I love these two new girls and hope I do right by them.

3. Brandi in VA

Thanks Vicki! I trimmed their feet the first day I got them home and also checked for lice, which they were clear of, also took temps and they are both normal as of now. Feet look 200 times better already. I will Ivomec when I get done with this post, I have it for my dogs. lol I already have them on the Dumour food and they love it. Will look for the loose minerals when I get to work later and also pick up the vaccines. I feel so bad for the other guys and gals she had left and will more then likely call her tomorrow and see if I can pick the rest up if she still has them. Seems she didn't spend too much time with them as they are a bit stand offish but coming around. They are letting my kids and I hand feed them so that's a good sign. :) I really don't feel I'm ready, I normally find someone who can teach me the basics before I get my feet wet, but I couldn't let leave without helping a couple, hence the sucker. LOL Thanks again and I'll keep ya updated.

Started repling before your post came up Goater but wanted to say thanks to you as well. :O)

4. Goater

Goater New Member

IMO: Treat them for stress - Probios, vaccinate (CDT), worm them and trim the feet. Plenty of fresh water, good hay and baking soda & minerals. You might dose them with some benedryl and see if that helps the runny noses. If they are acting depressed, debilitated and with poor appetites you might give some Vit B12 to perk them up.

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

13 goats in the back of a pickup, in this heat, yep runny noses :) I probably would have just taken the whole 13!

Trim their feet, worm them, check them for lice, and then put them both on a sulfa drug for 5 days. It helps with cocci and also bacterial problems which this is probably bacterial pnemonia. Check their temps everyday, anything over 103 especially if the snot turns green and you can hear them breathing and go back to Tractor Supply and buy their LA200 or other 200mg oxytetracycline. 3cc per 100 pounds every day under the skin until it is gone, then two more days of shots. It could be up to 10 days. It's called shipping fever/pasturella pnemonia. Reworm them in 10 days and also vaccinate. TSC also carries wormers, Ivermectin 1% cattle injectable, syringe it out, take off the needle and give it to them by mouth 2cc per 100 pounds, they also carry Bar Vac CD&T give them 2cc then in 21 days give them 2cc again, then shots yearly. TSC also carries BlueBonnet 12% allgrain, or something similar, also goat food by Dumour, both are wonderful. They also carry loose minerals, look for one with over 1000 ppm of copper in it. They have cool feeders also.

Good luck with the goats, and thanks for rescueing them! Vicki

6. Brandi in VA

Yep, that's right. Stamp my forehead and call me a fool. Monday at work (TSC) a woman came in asking if we knew anywhere she could get rid of a few of her goats. As she needed them gone fast because of he husband being sick. She had the poor things in the back of her truck riding around trying to find people that wanted them. Well, one look at those sad little faces and my girlfriend and I took 5. She had 13 crammed in there. Two young girls, both pygmy, one under a year and one a little over, are living with me. The woman didn't give vaccines, trim hooves or deworm. They also have gotten runny noses since Monday. I have called into a couple vets to have them looked over, they seem pretty healthy besides the runny noses, not horrible just a little mucus and a sneeze a couple times a day. However, since they aren't in a life or death situation the vet can't get out here till next week. What do you fine folks on here recommend I do till the vet get outs here?

TIA and now stop laughing. lol

7. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I don't know where in VA you are but our vet will treat "minor" goat stuff, he may also have a referral. PM me for contact info if you want. We are in Southeastern VA.

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Just know that you aren't the only sucker on this board. I probably would have loaded up the lot of them and brought them home. I would have told myself that I'd get them healthy and then sell them or butcher the males - but in reality they would have become pets.

I should just face facts and re-name the place "Brownsnout Livestock Retirement Facility."

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I would have to say that I would have taken all 13! I jut love goats, and I will always have a soft spot for them. By the way glad you rescued them, and welcome to the club.

10. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't say you are a sucker - just a caring person who likes animals and saw some in trouble and wanted to help. Could you share how much you had to pay? If this lady needed to get rid of them, they should have sold at cheap prices!

What better way to learn about goats, than to jump in and have them yourself? You have one up on us here provided the TSC you work at gives you a discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

11. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Umm....look at the date....the thread is over 2 years old....I wonder what happened to those goats.....*ponders*

MotherClucker

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

OH MY GOSH IT HAPPENED AGAIN< I ANSWERED A POST THAT IS OVER 2 YEARS OLD! LOL, this is the seconed time I have done this so far, thank you for shedding light on the situation MotherClucker.

13. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

Lol I have done that more times than I want to count :p . Lol so don't feel bad about it.

I am wondering what ever happened to Brandy and those goats.... :p

MotherClucker