I Need Burlap

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MoonRiver, Dec 10, 2010.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

I am having trouble finding burlap to cover a headboard. I ordered some online and it stinks so bad I can't use it. Tried washing it and now it's only good for wrapping trees. The local hobby store is out. Haven't been able to find a local fabric store.

Do any of the chains like Sears, JC Penny, Walmart, etc carry burlap? I checked websites and it doesn't look like it. I hate to order online again - want to touch it and smell it before I buy it.

2. tom j

tom j Well-Known Member Supporter

look for upholstery stores , they use burlap when doing upholstery.

3. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Check the feed stores.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

They don't use much burlap anymore in at feed mills.
    I know ours a Cenix Coop, uses Plastic bags (sacks) to put ground in mix feed in now, because it is LAW (USDA) that you can NOT use USED bags (sacks) anymore.
    You want to get your feed in sacks Bring your Sacks BACK and they MUST refill Those same sacks for you.
    So you won't be finding many Burlap being used anymore.
    I know this because I raise a Jersey steer every other year and for the last two times i HAVE to bring in my OWN sacks (Plastic), you have to BUY the bags the first time).
    Then to get more feed I get 500#'s once a month they MUST use my sacks again. So I can't even call ahead anymore to order feed. Grrrrr. These are the same size as Burlap sacks used to be they can put in 100#'s of feed in each plastic sack. And they still tie the tops with the use of a twine. In that special way so it is easy to get it off.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

I saw some at a JoAnn's Fabrics not too long ago.

Sounds like an interesting headboard idea. I have one that I covered with a quilt. Turned out great.

7. shaycool

shaycool Well-Known Member

Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware carry burlap

8. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't seen feed in burlap bags for 30 years but I have seen bundles of burlap in my local feed store just a few weeks ago.

9. oth47

oth47 Well-Known Member Supporter

Ace hardware and Tractor supply have burlap sacks,you might ask there if they have burlap in lengths.

10. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

Burlap has a smell to it. it is a natural smell. I like it. I love burlap.

11. MoonRiver

This wasn't the usual musty smell of burlap, but more like a chemical smell. I had opened the package this morning and left it in the bedroom with the door closed. When I went back into the room about 4 hours later, the smell was overwhelming.

12. City Bound

City Bound Male Supporter

I considered that that was the kind of smell you are talking about. It might be added chemical to preserve it, or it might be some stripper they used in the prepping of the fiber.

I would only buy burlap from a place that you can go to, touch, and smell, the material.

13. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

You mean burlap naturally has a weird smell? The only time I have burlap bags is from seed potatoes and I just assumed that smell was from the potatoes or something else that had been around the bags.

I don't think I've ever seen burlap for sale by the yard or what have you. Definitely wouldn't use the burlap you bought, though. Especially since it will be near your head while you sleep.

14. Pigeon Lady

Pigeon Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

JoAnn's had it on a roll last time we were there.

15. Cheribelle

Cheribelle Well-Known Member Supporter

Why do you want to use burlap? It does have a smell that I'm not thinking I'd want in my bedroom.... Depending on what your actual design is, could you varnish it after built? Seal in that smell?

16. bill83

bill83 Well-Known Member

gemplers.com has it too. Several different sizes.

17. Horseyrider

Horseyrider Well-Known Member

The stuff at JoAnn's isn't going to smell. It's a fabric store and they expect it to be used in crafts, not for holding 50# of bran or something. ;)

18. MoonRiver

I bought the burlap from Hancock fabrics. I just checked Joann Fabrics and their burlap is "sanitized to remove natural oil", so I think that is probably the difference. Need to make sure the natural oil has been removed.

19. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7

I understand you're creating an indoor item out of burlap; so it's having the oil removed is a good thing, I guess; however, I would think that "natural oil" would be an asset to those of us wanting to use burlap outdoors to protect valued vegetation. (The only burlap I've been able to find comes in 300-500' rolls and that is waaaaay too much for my one fig tree.)

20. jross

jross swamper

You could also look in a sporting goods store. Hunters use burlap as blind material, is odorless, and may have a pattern printed on it. The only time it smelled when I used it was after it had been in the weather for some time.