I like this new forum software

Discussion in 'HomesteadingToday Announcements & Support' started by painterswife, Mar 11, 2017.

1. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

And if you go up and clear ALL NEW posts Mark All Forums Read, the number will be much much smaller to see. Like right now on top it says New Posts 11 . A very small square in red, no big deal.

Chris likes this.
  2. logbuilder

logbuilder Well-Known Member

I will say that the recent threads and new threads has exposed me to other forums that I would not have otherwise visited. If that broadens my view, that is a good thing. With the last software, in User CP I had the forums I watched and that is all I saw.

I never realized how much activity there is around pigs.

melli, Chris and painterswife like this.

3. How Do I

How Do I In the Garden or Garage

Yeah. I figured as much. I just don't see the point in seeing it at all. What purpose does it serve? If I want to see new posts, I'll click on the link. Why do I need to know HOW MANY new posts there are? Just no reason for it IMHO. I'll just leave it for now as a challenge to see how many gazillion posts it counts before it runs off the side of the page. I'm certainly not going to keep clicking on it when it doesn't truly make it go away.

4. melli

melli Well-Known Member

I like the new look. Cleaner and easier to read.

Aside: the one thing that has crimped my HST experience, on numerous occasions, probably has to do with the number of trackers and adbots...sometimes reaching 45, which is a lot. I run Firefox, maybe that has something to do with it.
    At any rate, I get Firefox telling me page is hanging up, do I want to stop it or continue. After a while of trolling on HST, I have to close Firefox and restart. Bit of a pain. I understand HST has to make a buck, but it would be nice to surf the HST site without worrying about it crashing Firefox.
    One great thing I noticed, it saves drafts...very Nice! A couple of times I wrote long winded posts, and feared I'd lose them rebooting Firefox.

5. jwal10

jwal10 Well-Known Member Supporter

That has something to do with if you are a supporter. Had the same problem before the big dust up and many were just Grandfathered in as a supporter even though they never sent any money in. I was one. Have not had that problem since, never see an ad, but, I also went to a Chromebook, never added any ad blocking, same as it came, but it may well have something. I run off a Verizon cell tower through a cell phone unlimited plan. Quite slow but all there is out here....James

melli likes this.
  6. melli

melli Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info...
    I have Ghostery which probably muddles things up. It only blocks three trackers out of fifteen...It lets everything else through (and all ads).
    I guess Ghostery feels those particular trackers are nasty...
    I'm ok with ads, but I suspect with so many ads and trackers, the page 'can' hang up when it tries to access them all.

7. theforumringer

theforumringer New Member

Definitely the king of tracking sites.