I can't use my pressure cooker on a flat-top stove???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lyndseyrk, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

I received a pressure cooker for Christmas. I still haven't used it. Quite frankly, I'm afraid of it. Today, I got it out and was reading the manuel it came with. Get to the bottom of the 2nd page and it says in big bold letters to not use it on a flat/glass/ceramic cooktop stove. GREAT! I have a glass flat-top stove. It said because the bottom of the pressure cooker in concave, heat will not be distributed evenly and can damage my stove. Now what?

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Yep, that's what I've heard too. Any chance you could get a small coil-type stove for the basement and do your canning down there?

3. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

No basement. No room for another stove. I HATE this stove. Just got it last spring. It's a pain to clean, a pain to cook on, and too many restrictions! I can't take my pressure cooker back, as I got it as a gift and the box is already been trashed.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Ah yes, the perfect reason to add a summer kitchen complete with gas hot plate.

Anyone know if one of the gas fryer burners can be turned down enough to regulate the heat to can on?

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Side burner on a BBQ works great for canning.

Just make sure it's strong enough to hold all the wieght before setting a waterbath canner on there.

6. Ms.Lilly

Ms.Lilly Well-Known Member

I went and bought a hot plate burrner that sits on your counter, I bought it at Target and it works just fine for my pressure canner (AA 921). When I am done then I pack it back up and put it in the cupboard until the next time.

Caution once you use your pressue canner you will be addicted!

Lillian

7. stranger

stranger Well-Known Member

ours said we couldn't use it either, but we weren,t about to stop canning or buy another stove, the only thing we find wrong is, it takes longer to get the thing boiling.we're on our 4th yr.
    [​IMG]

8. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I won't take the chance of using my 21 qt AA on my glass top stove. However I use my 16qt Presto on it all the time (has a special bottom) and I'd use a 21qt Presto without any reservations - but they are signifcantly lighter than the AA and have a different bottom;

I bought a portable range (high power hot plate) and use the AA on that. I also have a coil cooktop in the summer kitchen for canning when it is hot out.

I also have two gas burners (outside cookers) but I could not control them well so I should find new homes for them.

Take a good look at the bottom of your canner, if it is not flat, then you will have problems with the glass top stove. But that is the case with any pan - Without good contact, my stove cycles off and on repeatedly and it can take 45 mn to boil water in a big pot that the bottom is not very flat. I finally got a good flat bottom pot and now it takes about 10 mn to bring the same amount of water to boil.

My new cooktop will be induction, and it won't work with aluminum canners - the reason why I was willing to spend big bucks on the hot plate.

Canning in the summer kitchen

[​IMG]

And in the house with the hotplate and glass top range (induction cooktop is still in the box).
    [​IMG]

Cathy

9. upnorthlady

upnorthlady Well-Known Member

Macybaby - I am jealous of your summer kitchen!!! I want one, too!!

10. Timberline

Timberline Keeper of the Cow

I've been canning on my glass top stove for years and years. It just takes longer to heat up. I use my big canner with jars double decked and have not had a problem. My stove is 18 years old, so I don't know if the glass on the new ones is any stronger or not.

11. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

well you may be able to use it on a propane barbeque..and who wants to heat up their house in the summer anyway when they are canning..i actually have a lovely side burner on my gas bbq

12. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

I love my pressure canners more than I love my stoves. I love the hotplate in Macbaby's kitchen. I think I'll add that to my wishlist.

13. Lyndseyrk

Lyndseyrk Guest

I think a hotplate is in order for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

BTW, what is a summer kitchen?

14. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel the same way about mine! I didn't want the thing, wanted gas, but hubby insisted. I don't know why...he doesn't cook! I kept hoping mine would quit, but when it did he got it fixed...for $50 more we could have bought the gas stove I wanted!

Even water bath canning is a pain. First, you're not supposed to use a big canner on a glasstop stove, but I did 'cause I was hoping the darn thing would break. It didn't break and it didn't get hot enough to boil the water in the canner because the bottm is concave. I have to can a few jars at a time in a smaller pot.

:grit:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  15. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

A summer kitchen is most often a separate building on a farm where cooking and canning is done in the summer. Often it could be a screened in porch or the whole structure screened in. That way the heat and steam and smells are out there and the house stays cooler and less steamy.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  16. country_wife

country_wife Evil Poptart

How about a turkey fryer? Not the pot, but the propane cook unit that comes with it. It's already set up to hold a huge pot/weight.

17. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know what you need to do! Sell it, Craigslist it, ebay it, swap shop it, give it away... Begone foul demon...

Life is too short to live with a stove, one of the most basic tools of civilization, that :censored: (well you know what I was going to say).

I couldn't live without a gas stove, that has real flames and real heat.

18. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I have been doing it for three years. In fact I have used 2 16 quart pressure canners on the same flat top glass stove at the same time... Haven't had an issue yet...?

19. salmonslayer

salmonslayer Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a ceramic top stove in our house in Alaska and we hate it. Most of whats said is true that you can use a pressure cooker or canner on the stove and it will just take longer but you have to be careful about cracking the top or fusing the pot to the stove top. Some aluminum can melt (like a lid) and graniteware can have the enamel melt off and also fuse to the stove top.

We are buying and old 1940s Western Holly stove for our farmhouse in Missouri..no ceramic cook tops and nothing digital.

20. Old Vet

Old Vet Well-Known Member

It depends on what kind. IF it has a valve to control the flame then yes. You can use the variable regulator but then you will have to be sure that you can get it too low and the wind will blow it out. The best canning stove is one of the two burner stoves that Harbor Freight sells. It is a small frame that will hole the cooker and the burners are large enough to boil it fast and when turned down will have just enough pressure to make it do right. The stoves cost about $20 and are enough to cook anything on.