I always canned my own but I bought some canned meat

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Coco, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Well, I always canned my own meat, but with my back being blown out and not being able to do it this year. I bought a few cans of chicken meat from Aldis at $1.79 I also purchased walmart brand at $2.50 per can.

I'm going to do the taste test this weekend.

If you buy canned meat where do you get it and do you like it?

I like to store what I eat and eat what I store.

thanks

7thswan, light rain and BlueRose like this.
  2. where I want to

where I want to Well-Known Member

Only after it's rinsed well and covered in sauce. Except Spam of course but that stuff goes straight to your arteries.

3. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I have never ate spam , I have onlyhad store bought tuna,sardines, red salmon, oysters.

I was thinking maybe I should try some canned ravaloi but took a look on the nutrition label and thought no I don't need that.

It truly does bite when one gets a tad bit up there in the years , and one needs to find good alternatives for stored food.

7thswan and BlueRose like this.
  4. Old Vet

Old Vet Well-Known Member

Any store canned meat or vegetables have more salt that you would use.Look at the ingredients list and see.

sss3 and BlueRose like this.
  5. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

We've bought Yoder's canned meats, which don't have added ingredients other than salt. I usually rinse them like Where I Want To said, but otherwise they're handy (although expensive). We don't buy the "sausage", "ground beef", or "taco meat" because it was a lot like Alpo dog food. But the "chunks" are tasty and identifiable. We also like the canned bacon.

I can some meats at home (mainly rabbit and chicken), but the Yoder's is good because it's in metal cans, which are much tougher than glass if storing it in various places. We live near an earthquake fault line, so it makes me feel secure knowing that even if all my canning jars break we'll still have some cans that survive. We keep some of the bacon in our BOBs, too.

You might also consider some dehydrated/freeze dried meats. They're also expensive, but work great and are lightweight and shelf stable. I especially like the ground beef! I dehydrate my own "hamburger rocks" but have been known to open a can of freeze dried too.

BlueRose likes this.
  6. Dixie Bee Acres

Dixie Bee Acres Well-Known Member Supporter

We like the Keystone brand canned meats available at Walmart.

7. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

I forgot to add - Costco has roast beef and chicken in smaller cans. The chicken isn't one of our favorites, but the beef is nice. It has more ingredients than the Yoder's but sometimes you don't want to open a huge can. And all the cans will last for years if kept climate controlled.

8. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I buy the small Hormel cans of turkey and ham. I use the ham for ham salad, quiche and omelets, I've even put in my beans when I didn't have a ham bone in the freezer. Yes it's a bit salty but I just don't add anymore to what I'm cooking. The turkey is rinsed off and used in pot pie. I do not like the canned chicken.

I also keep Spam! Sliced thin, rolled in a little flour and fried up crispy it can take the place of bacon in a pinch. I would love to try either the Keystone or Yoders.

9. Vosey

Vosey Well-Known Member

We like the Kirkland brand of canned chicken. I rinse off the salt as well. But we use it pretty much just for sandwiches.

lathermaker likes this.
  10. light rain

light rain Well-Known Member

I will be happy to see your taste test results. We stock up on canned herring often. The big difference between your home canned vs store bought is the sodium and maybe chemicals that leach from the cans interior.

I know it is not as break resistant as metal but I much prefer food canned in glass.

I will be stashing away more dry beans for winter meals. Nothing like a hot bowl of soup with plenty of onion and garlic and bay leaves cooking on the stove. And maybe a big slice of Countryfied's homemade bread recipe to go with it. :happy2:

11. 7thswan

7thswan Well-Known Member Supporter

Dh bought a can of Spam once, I still have it. I'm not really sure what to do with it, it might come in handy for an emergency. My mom used to slice and fry it for my Dad, it was gross IIRC. I do buy canned crab, just for stuffed mushrooms, but I'll have to rethink that now with all the strange countrys we get food from,same with tuna. I used to eat alot of that when I was bodybuilding, but now, it looks like mush in a can. Food is so diffrent now, so it will be nice to see others input, but maybe this new stuff is normal to people who use it. I like my own canned .sure would like to get some fish canned up like I read about those near the ocean. Hum, I wounder if the airlines will let me take my canner down to Key West. a good excuse to go fishing with my brother.

light rain and BlueRose like this.
  12. 7thswan

yummm, smoked Kippers.

Txsteader, lathermaker and light rain like this.
  13. light rain

Yup. Kipper snacks, cheddar cheese, crackers and crisp apple slices. :bouncy: Some of my favorite foods in the fall. Maybe a little Black Cat to go with it... :bouncy:

14. light rain

Maybe 2 bouncing figures are annoyance overload. :(

15. 7thswan

I don't know;) is Black Cat something I can bounce too:clap:

light rain and Sumatra like this.
  16. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We tried the Aldi canned chicken last trip and definitely will buy more next trip. Made chicken and rice and a broccoli/rice/chicken casserole and they tasted great. Aren't big beef eaters but will try their brand of that, too. Not big on their tuna but local store had Chicken of the Sea water packed for 69 cents can so bought a couple of dozen cans.

BlueRose likes this.
  17. gweny

gweny Well-Known Member

Aldi's has great beef stew at a reasonable price. Their canned chicken tastes the same as walmarts IMO. I can't eat tuna so I can't help you there; and I don't eat any other meat that I haven't canned myself.... Mostly because it just don't taste right to me.

7thswan, light rain and BlueRose like this.
  18. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I've used the Aldi canned chicken and canned beef. The chicken was good in every recipe I used it in and I'll buy it again. The beef was chunks instead of slices (the can had pic of slices and it said sliced beef on the can.) It had good flavor and probably would have been good in a stew, but I made hot roast beef sandwiches and was fully committed to the sandwiches before discovering it was chunks instead of slices. I ended up shredding the chunks as best I could and it was ok.

I like spam, but only after simmering in teriyaki sauce. It might be good if it was marinaded in the sauce overnight. I hate it right out of the can. Heating doesn't help. The flavor of that stuff has to be covered with another flavor to make it palatable.

7thswan likes this.
  19. Ozarks Tom

Ozarks Tom Well-Known Member

I remember Spam breaded in crushed cracker crumbs, and fried. Don't remember it being bad, but then, my mother was a lousy cook so who'd know good from bad?

Sam's chicken is terrible. Might as well eat cardboard. Canned hams (non-refrigerated) we've bought were obviously scrapings from the filler machine hopper pressed together and held in place with slime.

Maybe that's why we raise rabbits, chickens, and sheep. Under the right circumstance the cat might be tasty too.

Riverdale, 7thswan and summerdaze like this.
  20. light rain

Just to be clear, Black Cat is German white wine and I was too lazy to look up the German name. Liebfraumilch is another good one that I haven't had in years but really went well with fall kind of foods.

It is a shame that so many folks in America don't have any inkling of what home raised meat, vegetables and fruit taste like.

sniper69, Riverdale, 7thswan and 2 others like this.