howto tell if a goat is pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by coondog, Jan 8, 2008.

1. coondog

coondog Well-Known Member

How can you tell if a goat is pregnant?

(NOTE: the goat is supposedly 3 months along)

2. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

the only way to tell is do an ultra sound, expensive and not always reliable at this stage or blood testing with bio tracking, only $7.50 and very accurate.

3. coondog

when will she start showing?

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

there is no rule to that. some show as soon as they were exposed to the buck and some never show. i had a doe last year that did show when the legs came out from the little buck she had :rolleyes:

5. RiverPines

RiverPines Well-Known Member

My does dont tell to easily.

Looking at them doesn't work. They are pygmies, crosses too, and they always look pg. LOL

I have a ND that looks sleek but if it wasn't for the fact you can feel the baby kicking in her lower belly, you would never know. She is due any day now.

I havent been able to tell for sure with anyone till I can definitely feel babies, not rumins, kicking and moving, usually in the 4th month.

And I even have a doe that had a working udder, when she was still a virgin!

Goats fool people a lot I think. LOL

6. HazyDay

HazyDay Well-Known Member

Everyone it different just like goats! I watch does for changes in them or if they arn't showing any heat signs. I also find it alot easlier to see a FF grow. Mine seem to fill up on that side with birth waters after 2 months. I also watch udders and back ends :)

So watch your does and after a few kiddings you will be able see if they are preggos or not! Most of my kids I can't feel kids kick untill 2 weeks before the birth.

7. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Coondog. If you can get a picture of her butt, I will be able to give you a pretty good idea.
    Some people say that you can not tell by this but you know I am 98% this year.
    If you do it, get a good close up of her butt.

8. Goat Servant

Goat Servant Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah a pic of the behind would be lovely! Lots of the goat folks here can tell!
    I have mostly Boers & they are 4 mos along. One Im not sure was bred but they are always making a fool of me. Another one never did get her pre-preggo shape back so she looks about 6mos along the whole year.
    The rest of them are a bit filled out and the Nubian has looked like a blimp for the past month.

9. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Is her behavior different? Is she quieter? There's a reason they call it "settling".

10. CGFarm

CGFarm Member

We've found if the tip of the vulva is pointing towards the ground the doe is bred. If it's up, they are open.
    Denise

11. coondog

[​IMG]

there is the goat at about three months left.

12. picklespickles

picklespickles Well-Known Member

oh thanks for these specifcs i have one i'm wondering about right now. too late and cold to go check the magnificent vulval directional sign right now, but in the morning.

13. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

Aw, come on ladies, vulva up or down......what the heck!? LOL How about some pictures for us who don't know the difference? :D

Thanks!

Dixy

14. coondog

I know this will sound dumb, but is the tip at the top or bottom of the vulva? We will try to get some pics to post of the back end later today.

15. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Tip is at the bottom. This is not a completely accurate test though, especially in a doe with several kiddings under her.

16. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

I never heard of the vulva thing. I think my goats' vulvas always point down? Huh. I'll have to check properly tommorrow...
    If that is the pic of the goat in question, she looks pregnant to me. She might be just fat, but she'd have to be pretty darn fat. Did she look like that before she was bred? By my standards, she looks like an average, 3 month preggo goat. :)

17. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

That's what I was thinking, too. :D

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature why hide it?

If you know your goats and look at them everyday, you can tell when they are bred sometimes because they will just look gravid. They just have a different look to their abdomen. It has a roundness that is not caused by food or fat. Their udder becomes vaguely fleshy too. Remember the shepherds shadow....

19. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

20. coondog

Thanks a bunch!
    That second picture is what 2 out of the 4 does look like. The other 2 do have the tip pointing down, also. What surprises me, until I read about the vulva tip thing, I wasn't thinking my nubian was bred, now I do because your second picture looks exactly the way she looks now. I will still try to get those pics posted later ( I did get some today, but trying to figure out the photo bucket thing-anybody here willing to let me email and put them up for me?) and see what you all think.
    Thanks everybody-this is my first year breeding, so I am full of questions!