How to repel ticks on humans?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tngirl, May 23, 2005.

1. tngirl

tngirl Well-Known Member

I'm sure most of you know that my mother (sancraft), sister and I are going to camp out on the land this week for 4-5 days. We will be sleepng in tents, which I know are pretty secure, but bugs still sometimes get in. Well, for some reason, ticks just seem to LOVE me. Every time I even think about woods, I get covered in ticks and it is no fun. So, does anybody have an suggestions on how I could keep the ticks off of me this week. I already spray myself with OFF and roll my socks up high and tuck my pant legs into my socks. But, they still get all over me. Any suggestions?

2. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard that eating garlic works, you might try that, although it might repel your mother and sister also.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i eat a lot of garlic seems to bother everything but the tics

4. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

I was a chigger and tick magnet. A friend of the wife's told us about swallowing a teaspoon of brown vinegar a day. Also I put a spot of it on each wrist and on above my socks. I haven't had a tick on me for three weeks. Or skeeters, or any bugs I guess. I am working on 5 1/2 acres weeding, cutting brush, gardening, building a shed, mowing even under trees. No problem. shadowwalker

5. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

Consumer Reports, I believe, ranked deep woods off with at least 30 % deet works and lasts the longest. I live in the heart of tick country and am surrounded by woods. We use the Deep Woods Off on our skin and then on our boots and clothes a spray with Permetherin in it...the combo works great...DO NOT use the Permetherin on your skin though the Permetherin is supposed to last through a few washings as well..good stuff!
    Scott

6. copperhead51

copperhead51 Well-Known Member

Somebody just told us about Shaklee Basic H. He is a timberer and works in the tick infested woods of southron missouri. I'm going to get some and try it. I will also try the brown vinegar.

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Deet enters the bloodstream and its long term effects are unknown...

8. PezzoNovante

PezzoNovante Well-Known Member

Speaking as one who has had a bout of Lyme disease. I'll risk the long term effects of Deet.

We've tried a lot of different treatments, but spraying the skin with 30% Deet and then hitting the footwear and pants legs with Raid works the best. Follow that with a strip down inspection and change of clothes once done working outside.

Nothing seems to work against chiggers...

9. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

A bleach solution will work on the chiggars. Won't keep them off but makes them leave.
    Also fire ant stings can be treated by dousing with alcohol (rubbing not drinking). Works well on wasp and scorpion stings also.

10. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

A deer hunter and Realtor in MO (tick capital of the WORLD) told us that he dusts himself with powdered sulfer. He gets it at the drug store and puts it in an old sock. When he's going to be out in the woods, he justs dusts himself with the sock. I haven't tried it--would rather rely on guineas....

11. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

I have been using someting right out of the kitchen. It is vanilla extract! You can either dilute it with water (1 part vanilla to 3 parts water) for a spray or mist to keep away the mosquitos, flies, gnats. Or, use it right out of the bottle around the wrists, neck, ankles, and please check around the groin area, as the ticks here are attracted to areas where there is tight clothing.

If you are wearing long pants or jeans, put rubber bands around the legs at the ankle to keep the critters from crawling up the pant legs.

It is also ok to use the sprays with deet in them, but only on the outside of the clothing! I have heard all about the problems with use of deet products and I myself do not use them on the skin, only on the clothing.

Brenda

12. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i allso read somewhere if you go into the woods neked you will have a lot of less ticks then with clothes on they cant grab the skin as well as they can clothes but if you choose that way dont forget sunblock for you fair skined people

13. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I'll take ticks over mosquitos and deer flies any day !!

I agree with the DEET recommendations. Lyse disease is terrible.

14. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Heh heh, I don't get them. I'm not allergic to poison ivy either. I was built for Arkansas. :D

uh, knock on wood.

15. Matt Black

Matt Black Out back

We use Permetherin on clothes and 30% Deet on skin. We don't use the Deet on our young children, on them we use some stuff that is also a sunscreen and made for kids, I forgot the name of it. We do use the Permethrin on their clothes though. This seems to cut down on ticks but will not render you invulnerable.
    MB

16. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    One part catnip seed oil, 20 parts witch hazel, apply as needed where needed.

17. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Bugs rarely bite me, and I always wondered why? I read recently that taking extra vitamin B repels them, and I take it daily. Worth a try! I don't know if citronella repels ticks, but when we are REALLY infested with mosquitos, I dab the essential oil on, like you would perfume? before I go outside and it works like a charm.

Be sure to check each other, especially in your hair, ESPECIALLY if your hair is thick! It's hard to see them on yourself in the less accessible places.

Good luck, be careful, Lyme disease is nothing to mess with.

hollym

18. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Another recommendation: Have a roll of 2-inch wide 3M masking tape near your sleeping bag at night. If you feel a tick crawling, pick it off and stick it to the tape. That way you don't have to get up in the middle of the night and dispose of the tick. The tick will remain stuff to 3M making tape and die (there is something in the glue that kills the tick). I haven't had good luck using other brands of masking tape.

19. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Our family went fer a walkabout last evening and of course i got the lovely feeling of a tick crawling on my neck after we got home... just something about taller grass those pesky critters love.

the free range chickens seemed to have knocked the population down this spring here, only found one on the dog and one on a cat.... usual numbers in the teens by now. as for keeping them off a person, and keeping them from biting my in-laws swear by a product from Avon.... skin-so-soft which works against skeeters, chiggers, and deer flies too.... I used to smoke a cigar or three and that seems to keep everything at bay although im told that was just an ole tale as nothing in a cigar would repel anything like a tick... just other people..... but i never got bit by a vampire while smoking one either..... <----- not an advocation for smoking anything at all....

But if your new property is infested with those biting insects, and you can swing it, and can stand them afterwards, get some guinea fowl, they will make short work of a lot of pests but if your neighbor has higher ground or taller trees, they will seek that out [might have to build a tall radio type tower for them to roost on].

A positive attitude will help as well, feeling like you are gonna be a victim of a tick will attract them to a person..... not being afraid of them wil just let them crawl on you to find a good spot to bite you, allowing you time to get the needle nose pliers and the butane lighter and FRY THE LITTLE VARMITS, not that I dislike any of natures creatures or anything, but that "POP" as they bake sounds really good and satisfying that I just put to rest several thousands of generations of bloodsucking parasites [not to be confused with those of the lawyering profession]

HAve a great adventure working on your property

William

20. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Start taking Vitamin B pills. Ask at the health store how much you should need. Vitamin B (I don't remember which one, 12?) makes you taste bad. You need to start now and continue until you get home. While you are at it, also get a good Vitamin C supplement to help your immune system. Do not buy at K-Mart or similar store. Go to a health store. You will pay a little more, but you need the higher quality.