How to keep barn cats warm over the winter?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by DixyDoodle, Sep 18, 2006.

1. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I have been starting to give some thought as to my barn cats. What can I build to keep them warm over the winter? Our winters here can be bitter. These are short-haired cats. They spend most of their time right in the barn, so I was thinking an insulated box of some sort in there. They do like to snuggle together in the little pet bed I have in there, so something that can fit two adult cats would be the best.

I really prefer not to use something I have to plug in.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to build, and with what? Pictures would be a bonus!

Thanks!

DD

2. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

I have just learned to post pics here so you may be in luck.

Hubby built something that looks much like a cedar chest , not as pretty but about that size.

With a small door opening and longer rather than tall, we put some blue board insulation in the inside of it. It's probablly 18- 24" tall by 36" long and all three of our cats snuggle in that.

We installed it in the barn on a shelf about five feet off the ground .

They walk the shelfs go right in feeling safe and warm.

Hubby is talking about one for the porch and wants to put it on the rail to keep it off the ground , we are argueing about the size. I don't want one that big on the porch.

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Leave a little cubbyhole in a bale of straw or hay. It can easily be changed, should it become infested with fleas.

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

all they need is a place to get out of th eelements. They like someting soft to lie on like chaff, hay, or an old jacket. They dont need any heat in addition to their own body heat

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

friend of ours put a half oil tank and some blankets on their back door step for the outdoor cats. worked for their cats. they replaced their freezer,old but well insulated ,then offerd it too me. i suggested a small door in the end and the freezer be placed in the wood shed. wood shaveings then some straw and old blankets ,then feed them in it till they got used too it. a good quality food and extra fat helps them with the elements, we also feed a bit of raw meat during the very cold spells. normaly they just burrow in the hay or straw,warm as toast on even the coldest day.

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

A little house of bales seems to suit our barn cats just fine. Leave a rear entrance too so if something gets in the front door they have an escape route. A litter box helps alot, but plan on chucking those bales. I like the Styrofoam cat condo though!

7. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Styrofoam can't breathe.

8. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

An old cooler, cut a small hole in the side (so they can get in it) and then add some hay or blanket. The lid will make it easy to clean.

9. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

DILs outside cat has a small dog house on the porch. Most of the time she's quite happy with a nice nest of blankets. On very cold winter nights DIL has a thing that looks like a frisbee. She got it at the pet store. You pop it into the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes and then put it under the bedding. Stays warm all night.

10. iocane

iocane Active Member

Heat lamp. Good for dauschunds, cats, chickens, pipes in the pump house

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I like to roast them over a medium spit.

12. Cloverbud

Cloverbud Well-Known Member

Poultry nest boxes with straw on the bottom. I have the size for larger hens/ducks. It's funny to look in and see 6-7 sleepy heads.

13. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

I make a nest on the front porch with a heat lamp overhead for my cats. All but one likes to sleep there, the oldest, canterous female (that can't get along with any other cat :grump: )likes to sleep alone out back in the shed.

14. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Oh, don't kid us... with a name like AR CAT TAILS.... we know you roast 'em too! :baby04:

15. AR Cattails

Oh, gosh, no!! :eek: Could never do that. I love my babies too much. We have 4 babies now for a total of 12 cats and that's enough. I have 5 females that I need to get fixed before I have anymore. Yikes! But that's another story. You are just too funny, ZYG! :p

16. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Or this...

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

17. AR Cattails

:bouncy: :rotfl: That's funny!

18. sweetcountrygrl

sweetcountrygrl Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh Paula -- that is TOOO CUTE!!!

19. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

My barn cats are two sisters and they will not cuddle up together so I just bought two individule cat condos form wal-mart.
    The kind that are round and covered with carpet. I set them on the hay stack facing each other near the window. They like that and sleep in them when it is cold or on them when it is not. I put them away in the loft for the Summer. It is time to get them out, dust them off and spray them for fleas before putting them out again. I like to do this early so they can get used to them again.
    For years we did nothing and they did fine. They found their own place but now they are getting very old so I caved and got them the condos. :rolleyes:

20. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

What did you use to cut the hole?