How to get rid of the flies swarming around on the front porch?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by farm mom, Jul 27, 2009.

1. farm mom

farm mom Well-Known Member

We have a covered front porch and the flies are terrible. We have to run in and out of the house so they don't get in. Seems I am always yelling to the kids "shut the door, quick!" We use fly predators on the property and while we are having a worse than usual fly year and they aren't as effective, there aren't too many flies out where the animals are. They are all congregated on the front deck where it is cooler and trying to sneak in the house where it is much cooler with the AC on. Any suggestions on what to do to get rid of them? Thanks!

2. nappingonthejob

nappingonthejob Member

This summer we had flies congregating in our kitchen and tack room (icky) so I just made a homemade fly trap. I took a gallon juice bottle, poked holes in it at the point where it started to taper (big enough for a fly to crawl through), then put in 50/50 apple cider vinegar and corn syrup, about a 1/2 cup each. I mixed that up really well and then added water so it was about halfway full.

I don't know if putting a few of those outside your door would help, but it worked really well for us and cut down on the sheer volume of flies in those areas. Low-cost and environmentally friendly too.

3. DairyGoatSlave

DairyGoatSlave Love My Manchas!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Set a window fan on the porch blowing towards the door. Mop some vinegar on the floor and the outside of the door and wall around it. <>UNK

5. glazed

glazed Tough Girl, Be Gentle

I have no idea if this really works or not ... but there is an old lady in my neighborhood who keep gallon milk jugs full of water dotted all over her porch and sidewalk, and supposedly it keeps the flies away.

6. melina

melina Well-Known Member

A large basil plant close to the door will keep them at bay. I've tried water in large zip-lock bags, hung around/near the opening with those heavy-duty clips. The reflection of the water seems to drive them away.

7. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

We take a clear 1/2 gal to gal, glass or plastic jug and fill it full of water place one on each side of our outside doors and the flies don't come in. We were not bothered with them as long as we did this. I had heard this for years and finally decided to try it. I was amazed at how well it worked.

8. glazed

glazed Tough Girl, Be Gentle

:) Neato! It works! So the little, old neighborhood lady knows her stuff!! :)

9. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I get flies really bad this time of year on the back side of my house - what has worked best for ME is oil based HORSE fly spray!!! A friend told me about it several years ago. I spray the back porch door, railings, steps etc. about once a week. If you have rain, you have to apply it afterwards. I bought a bottle several years ago for $12.99 and am still using it - takes very little. Make sure it is the OIL based one or it won't stay on well enough. Got it at the feed barn in the horse dept.

10. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

The flies seem particularly bad this year. Hung a fly strip...either didn't do much good or I was impatient. The wet vac sucks them up pretty good and at least makes me feel like I'm winning the battle.

11. Mrs. Homesteader

Mrs. Homesteader Well-Known Member

We have a small local eatery. They have a covered deck which you can eat on. They put water in zip lock bags. They put a penny in each one and hang them around the perimeter of the deck roof. They said they were told the flies see the penny as an enemy or something. Anyway, I have heard several people say they eat there fly free. Worth a try.

Also, how about planting basil or tansy near your doors.

12. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

would this work if you decorated the jars?
    I have a few too many large pickle jars that could work but they would look silly by the door - like i forgot to take the recycling out

13. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I am threatening to get some of the resturant bug catchers for the house. They are so annoying this year. I don't remember them being this bad before. I am hoping scovy ducks would help as well. I was whining on another thread. Had to chime in a whnine on this one too.:D

14. farm mom

farm mom Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!! Great ideas, we will give some a try today. Yes, the flies have been worse here this year too for some reason. I live in the high desert but we had a VERY wet June. I don't know if that made a difference or not.

15. firegirl969

firegirl969 Well-Known Member

When we camp, we put up fly strips, the sticky ones. They really catch the flies.

16. elliemaeg

elliemaeg Well-Known Member Supporter

Lilandra, I was told that only the clear jars will work.

17. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We get flies in the fall. (They come in around the middle of Sept. usually, this year we are already getting them). We tried bombing but didn't like the chemicals. We found if you put out a fly trap (get them at the feed store) it gets rid of most of them. For the few that are missed we put up fly strips inside. It works.

18. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

'The water needs to be in something "clear" then? The milk containers here are frosted to one degree or another. Not clear.

Here, not only are there lots of flies, but they bite so bad. Makes it almost impossible to be outside for any length of time at all.

19. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Sex of a fly

A woman walked into the kitchen to find her
    husband stalking around with a fly swatter
    'What are you doing?'
    She asked.
    'Hunting Flies'
    He responded.
    'Oh! Killing any?'
    She asked.
    'Yep, 3 males, 2 Females,' he replied.