How do you "make" a black Boer?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meadowwood, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Meadowwood

Meadowwood Active Member

I know some breeders near Rockford IL, that have been breeding red and black Boers for several years now. We bought our first Boers from them 5 years ago. I know they are on the ABGA registry and their farm name is "Back2Nature". If you want me to dig up their phone number, PM me and I will send it to you. I know they have a web site but haven't visited it in a while and don't remember the exact address.
    Darlene

2. Gary

Gary Member

Goat Rancher had an article last time on a Show held for colored Boers.Goat Rancher is also an excellent source of information for anyone in the meat goat business

3. Rebekah

Rebekah Active Member

I know next to nothing about Boers. Have you tried googling the subject? Are they solid black? I breed for black Alpines; my experience has been that black+black <i>always</i>= black. Other colors can throw black, it seems to be recessive. Chamoisee in particular is a good one for getting black, if bred to a black buck.

4. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

:idea: Does anyone know where I can reference some of the background genetics that goes into "making" red and black Boers?

I have seen some of the Black Boers and they are beautiful and fascinating. I would like to read some indepth studies, books or documentation on the genetics involved.

5. Gary

Gary Member

I don't know about the black Boers but I have a FB Boer buck
    that is almost all red and it came from a doe and buck that were the traditional Boer colors

6. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

My favorites...we've been raising them for 5 years now. The first blacks that I'm aware of came from a solid red buck and a black headed doe. I think both the red and the black are recessive traits, although no one knows the specific genetics behind them. I've been told that all 4 colors (r/white, red, white, black) appear in the goats in South Africa, but only the red headed ones are studded .

7. LuckyGRanch

:D :D It was YOUR website that I ran across weeks ago that got me all interested! Especially your Legolita (not for sale! :D ) adorable little doe.

I was lamenting the fact that Houston is SO very far from WI!

They are gorgeous animals!

8. LuckyGRanch

:D :D It was YOUR website that I ran across weeks ago that got me all interested! Especially your Legolita (not for sale! :D ) adorable little doe.

I was lamenting the fact that Houston is SO very far from WI!

They are gorgeous animals!

9. shelbynteg

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that! We're working hard to improve the blacks, Legolita is among the finest we've produced. And by the way, October is a great time to come to Texas, our weather gets beautiful :D

10. LuckyGRanch

And I bet your wethers are beautiful too! :D

11. shelbynteg

PTL, everything edible or show-goatable is gone for the season! s.

12. Guest

You can find out about black boers at www.littleleagueranch.com.
    We have two for sale right now in INDIANA. One is solid black and one is black with two white socks. Really cute!
    WE love colors in our boers.

13. Brandonkiff

Brandonkiff New Member

Do you still sell black boer goats

14. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

We bred our Brown headed boer buck for the 1st time last year to does that were either red headed, brown headed and one that is totally red. We ended up with a mixture of black and brown headed babies. There was no rhyme or reason as to who ended up with black headed babies. One Mom had 3 black headed babies, yet her daughter had 1 brown headed baby. We've rebred them this year to the same buck so we'll see what happens.