Homemade dish soap

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Organizing' started by Plendlful, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Plendlful

Plendlful Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a dish soap recipe, I've found a great dishwasher soap recipe, but I'm almost out of liquid dish soap and would rather make my own rather than buying from a store. Anyone have any good recipes?

2. LonelyNorthwind

LonelyNorthwind Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Plendlful

That does look like quite a bit of work. I have to admit it's a bit daunting, not sure if I want to dive in with this on my first attempt at soap making. My dishwasher recipe is a simple measure, mix, and store recipe. If I do get up the nerve to try this I'll post my results!

4. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Saw a vid of WWII where a woman talked about saving soap bits and tying them in a cloth then pouring very hot water over it and swishing it around to liquify it. I haven't tried that, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd use plain lye soap or Ivory, also heard Octagon is good if you can find it. (note to self, try this!) If anyone else does this, let's hear from you?

5. Plendlful

That does sound like it would work well, I've been liquifying plain bar soap on the woodstove, perhaps I could find a way to make it work for dish soap.