Homemade Cleaning Recipes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Niki, May 13, 2006.

1. Niki

Niki mini-steader

Just a couple of things I found on the internet I thought I would share. I have not tried either of the recipes yet. I will add more recipes as I come across them. I hope you will do the same! :)

I have been searching for a homemade "Kaboom" bathroom cleaner recipe to no avail. Would love the recipe if someone has one!!

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02apr15a.cfm

http://u.webring.com/forum?forum=herbsntea;did=265

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Not really a recipe but Tooth paste makes a great cleaner for gold and silver.Not that i have alot laying around or anything. :Bawling:

That Kaboom is really something ain't it! :D My wife isn't supposed to breath any harsh fumes so i have to clean the tub.But ever since i found that stuff i almost enjoy watching it kick the soap scums butt.Um i did find a way to make it go farther.I pore it into a regular squirt bottle so it doesn't come out in a foam like it does from the store.Goes three times farther but it does make fumes way worse! :nono:

3. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

There's a great book out there on handmade cleaning recipes...Naturally Clean, I think. I haven't got it here at the house or I'd see if there was something similar to kaboom for you.

Anway, we use lemongrass essential oil (a few drops) in a carrier oil (whatever you have on hand) to polish wood furniture with. You can use orange eo for a lot of cleaning products.

For a vacuum cleaner (bag), try making vacuum cleaner potpourri. I use corn, but you could use rice or flaxseed, whatever you've got on hand; scent it with a few drops of fragrance or essential oil, the put it inside a tea or muslin bag, and pop it into your vacuum cleaner bag. When you vacuum, the house will smell all fresh. Some fragrances work better than others...citruses and strong fruits or mints are good.

4. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I like white vinegar for cleaning. Baking soda makes a nice abrasive cleaner, and is good on teeth too. Soda with phosphoric acid in it does wonders on cleaning up corroded metal, especially if you rub on it with some aluminum foil. We always used sand for washing dishes when we were camping places with little available water. Worked great.