Homemade Antibiotics

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by firegirl969, Jun 6, 2009.

1. firegirl969

firegirl969 Well-Known Member

DH came home Thursday telling me that his like-minded friend telling him about something he read that says you can make your own antibiotic by dropping a real silver coin or flatware or dish into some water and let it sit and it will make an antibiotic. He said they did this in the "old days." Please share any knowledge you have on this subject. Thanks, firegirl

2. NickieL

NickieL Accidental Farmer

3. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Well-Known Member Supporter

we just use olve leaf extract, if that doesnt work then we go the the doc

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Colloidal Silver(not homemade with a silver coin in water) *does* work and is my first defense for my sinus infections along with echinacea extract(an herb with antibiotic properties). I have never yet had them not work if taken every hour til relief is given. Doesn't mean just anyone can make it by dropping a silver coin in water.:shrug:
    Using these, I have never had to take a regular antibiotic.

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

For topical antibiotics use unheated raw honey.

6. Joshie

Joshie Well-Known Member Supporter

Colloidal silver is a germ killer. It's more danger than it's worth though. I've used Silvadene. It's a prescription topical agent that can be used for burns.

Silver taken internally can cause an irreversible blue tint to your skin.

http://www.cqs.com/silver.htm
    http://getinvolved.nih.gov/newsbulletins/Rsingle_print.asp?id=155&issue=july2004
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html

7. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

From what I understand the turning blue is repeated exposure. I wouldn't try it though unless a regular antibiotic was unavailable; at least not internally.

8. WildernesFamily

WildernesFamily Milk Maid

I've used store bought Colloidal Silver for going on 10 years now. You can buy it in health food stores. Some brands work better than others.

Haven't turned blue yet :p The only cases I've heard of that happening is when someone made their own CS and took a maintenance dose every day.

9. ozark_jewels

Yep. As I said, not just anyone can make it by throwing a coin in water. I use what works.

10. Joshie

Joshie Well-Known Member Supporter

Just because YOU haven't turned blue YET doesn't mean you won't. It also doesn't mean your neighbor will not. It's awfully risky. If you turn blue, you stay blue. Why take the risk when there are safer options out there?

11. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

If the purpose of making your own is to avoid a trip to the doctor then you might consider keeping "real" antibiotics on hand by ordering them from overseas; no prescription necessary.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/infections/infections.html

I order stuff from them all the time. It's a good outfit.

12. Trisha in WA

Trisha in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Garlic is a fantastic and safe natural antibiotic...known as "Russian penicillin"

13. ozark_jewels

You are entitled to your own opinion.

I know many, many, many people who use colloidal silver if there is a need. Never seen one blue person, have you? It is not "awfully risky".

Of course it can be over-used and/or abused. ANYTHING CAN BE. Even your "safer options".

Colloidal silver *is* safe.......just don't abuse it.

If I ever turn blue from my very ocaisional usage.....I'll let you know.:)

14. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

There are various natural antibiotics in the herbal world. It takes a little bit of research to learn them, then you can grow your own medicinal herb garden.

Some of the things I've done in the past are:
    cured pink eye with honey
    cured shingles with acetone and aspirin
    prevented bruising with slippery elm bark
    healed sinus infection with netty pot

I have a friend who uses colloidal silver. It's easy to make, but imperative that you use the correct amount of silver and the silver MUST be 99% pure. My friend uses Canadian silver leaf coins or silver bullion.

I've never used it and have heard the stories of people turning blue. I think most if not all of them probably overdosed and/or used impure silver to make it. If you do a bit of investigating, you can usually find what they did wrong.

15. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

If you check out the HT Alternative Health forum, there is a lot of info there on natural and homemade antibiotics. You also won't get the well meaning "warnings" people give who don't really know or believe in homeopathic and natural healing. Instead you'll get the true info, backup study info (if you desire), along with the pertinent warnings for that particular medicine/herb/treatment.

16. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

17. OurLilHomestead

OurLilHomestead Well-Known Member

In our family there are a lot of allergies to prescribed antibiotics. We usually up the doses of vitamin c, take garlic, olive leaf extract and a multi-vitamin. We also make a "syrup" from apple cider vinegar, fresh garlic & honey.

18. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

"I have never yet had them not work if taken every hour til relief is given."

Emily I know what you are saying but as written this doesnt say a whole lot! Anything can be taken hourly until you feel relief. You can suck on an ice cube hourly, and stop when you have relief. That doesn't mean that the ice cube healed you, just that you kept up withthe ice cube until you were better!

19. ozark_jewels

All I'm saying in that sentence is that you have to take it religiously to break the infection. I was sick as a dog with ear infection and sinus infection. Pain so bad I was either sobbing or screaming(and this was *with* pain meds!). I had *immediate* relief when I started the echinecea extract and colloidal silver. But I had to keep it up every hour for it to completely heal it. Just like with *any* antibiotic, you *must* complete the regimen once started. My doctor said we would try that first and if I didn't have relief within a couple hours, we would go to regular antibiotics. We did not need too.

20. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I, too, have used colloidal silver for sinus infections, colds, etc.

I combine it sometimes with echinacea.

No blue skin here.