Help! Need advise!

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by mosepijo, Mar 19, 2017.

1. mosepijo

mosepijo Well-Known Member

My daughter just finished knitting this sweater for her daughter. She blocked it on a towel. The next morning, she pulled it off and the back side of the sweater is a lighter color. It wasn't in the sun either. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. CinnamonHarvest

CinnamonHarvest Active Member Supporter

If its not still damp, then I think it probably has to do with the color fastness of the yarn. Some folks knit a test swatch to check for color fastness (not helpful now, but in the future, especially if its with a yarn she hasn't worked with before). I'd try maybe reblocking it...and then during the wetting process checking to see if the color is running (maybe the towel was absorbing some of that color?) If she doesn't have blocking mats...I use a cheap yoga mat that I got at walmart for like $7 (on sale...I was going to grab the kids alphabet foam mats...but the yoga mat was cheaper at the time)

3. mosepijo

It had dried. She talked to the yarn shop where she bought it and the woman said she had never heard of something like that. She also told her to re lock it. I thought it was strange that the back which was against the towel is the lighter color.

4. CinnamonHarvest

Yeah, that's odd...really think it would have to do with the color fastness of the yarn. From what I understand getting reds/shades of red to hold in natural fibers requires an extra step, and if whomever processed the yarn missed that step on that particular hank...I could see it bleeding into what its laying on (a towel absorbing it...). Question is...is the towel a color you could tell?

5. mosepijo

The towel was white. No bleeding.

6. CinnamonHarvest

Yeah, sorry...I don't have the experience with dyes and such to be helpful, hopefully someone else has a bit more to add because it is a beautiful sweater!!!

7. mosepijo

8. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Wonder is it cold be diyed?

9. mosepijo

Well, after she talked to the yarn shop who suggested she reblocked it. It turned out okay. Here it is...

Attached Files:

CinnamonHarvest and Nsoitgoes like this.