Hello from Michigan!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Coyox, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Coyox

Coyox New Member

Hey all, been a lurker here for a long time and I'm finally getting a chance to post now! I work as a professional illustrator, and what with the strange amount of work I've been receiving plus a brand new homestead, things have been busy!

My family and I just moved onto 20 acres near Ann Arbor MI in April. We managed to build a chicken coop, and 40x80' garden, and ready a stable over the first summer. We also managed to plant 8 fruit trees and 8 new shelter trees for our first flock of chickens. The man who sold the house to us literally had 20 acres of GRASS. So we have a huge blank canvas, which is both a curse and a gift.

There are a few things I am here to learn more about:

Edible Landscaping - For my flock and for my family. And a pretty one too, for the guests.

Beekeeping - I have never seen anyone do this in real life, nor have I had them myself! I love bees though, and always have, and cannot wait to learn.

Mead and Winemaking - I love wine and I especially love drinking all of that viking mead. Can't wait to learn more.

Butchering Chickens and Pigs - It's a hard truth, but I love bacon and I love Chinese food.

I look forward to getting to know you all and learning from those who have been in the game far longer than I!

dsmythe likes this.
  2. dsmythe

dsmythe Well-Known Member

At the end of a dirt road in Mount Airy, GA
    Welcome, What part of MI are you from? I was born in Ypsilanti and grew up in Romulus.
    I was taken to FL and then to North East Georgia where I now reside. You have a great bunch of folks to learn from but I guess you already know that. Good Luck on your homestead. It sounds like you are already having fun. Dsmythe

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello, and merry Christmas.

I am from Detroit but have lived the past 29 years in the thumb. I’ll be moving to the Brighton/S. Lyon area, not too far from you.

dsmythe likes this.