Hello from Maine!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tarasinthesun, Jan 11, 2017.

1. tarasinthesun

tarasinthesun New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Tara and I live in a rural town in the western Maine foothills and Lake Region with my husband and our 5 year old daughter. Our interests and hobbies include hunting (for food, not sport), fishing, beekeeping, and gardening. We are working toward the goal of purchasing our own property in the surrounding area where we can have an even larger vegetable garden, greenhouses, honeybees, chickens, goats, and perhaps other animals, and to live more like we remember living when we grew up. In the meantime, my husband (a carpenter) had promised me a small greenhouse and chicken coop in time for spring planting a d chicks! Maine winters are long (though it is freakishly warm here today) and it's something to look forward to!

Raeven likes this.
  2. Raeven

Raeven Reluctant Adult Supporter

Nice to "meet" you, tarasinthesun! I understand Maine has some dandy properties for a homesteading lifestyle, and I hope you are able to realize your dream sooner rather than later. :)

While you work toward your goal, there is so much to learn -- and you'll get a lot more excited about your dreams as you get ready to live them by reading here and studying what you need to know.

Welcome to the forum!

3. tarasinthesun

tarasinthesun New Member

Thanks Raeven! Yes, Maine has excellent opportunities for homesteading! My husband and I have both spent years in the southern states, but ultimately returned to where we grew up. I feel blessed to have grown up in rural Maine, and for the ability to raise our daughter here! I like what you said about the opportunity to learn here. I've always loved to learn new skills and try new things, and will need to sharpen many of the basic skills I already have. That being said, in roughly two months comes maple sap/syrup season! I'd like to try making my own this year! I haven't helped make syrup or sugar for almost 30 years (I'm 42), so looking forward to trying my hand at doing it myself!.

4. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Welcome to Homesteading Today :)

We migrated to Maine in 2005. We live a little North of Bangor.

Do you attend the Common Ground Fair?