Has anyone here used the Tattler reusable canning lids?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Freya, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Freya

Freya Can't find bacon seeds Supporter

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

from what i undertand they haven't made them for a long time and some guy is still selling them after they have been in storage. which means the rubber parts are getting pretty rotten by now.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

How could we verify this?

I thot they were out of business too... but would love it if I was wrong.

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Looks like they were alive and well as of last August! The owner has posted here a few times on HT. One can still order them via the link supplied by the OP.

Martin

5. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I received some as a gift and used them last year - worked just fine and dandy for me.

6. Ohio dreamer

Ohio dreamer 1/2 bubble off plumb

I've got some. Rubbers in great shape and they work wonderfully.

7. beaglebiz

beaglebiz Wasza polska matka

Suitcase Sally has been using them. Maybe make a post under the preserving the harvest forum, as there was a discussion from the owner as Paquebot mentioned.

8. Cinelu

Cinelu Well-Known Member

I reviewed the website, unless I'm mistaken, what's the point? If I calculated correctly, the expense of these would be far greater than using the one-time use lids. Approximately $20. for three dozen lids, $7.50 for the rubber rings for three dozen. I sure can buy a lot of regular lids for $27.50.

9. Paquebot

$27.50 this year, $0.00 next year, $0.00 the following year, $0.00 the year after that, and $0.00 until you physically destroy them.

Martin

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Thanks for the heads up thread. I've not heard of them before or if I did I ignored them.

11. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

Are the rubber rings reusable?

12. Paquebot

Click on the Tattler site. "NEVER BUY HOME CANNING JAR LIDS AGAIN!" means that the plastic lid portion will last forever.

Then see Step 10 of Instructions. "--clean and wash in hot soapy water for possible reuse." means that unless you damage the rings, you can use them again and again.

Martin

13. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought some and forgot to try them during summer canning so I was doing some pork sausage on Thursday and used two of them and they worked real well. Looked odd and I guess you have to be careful removing the lid so as not to damage the rubber ring. I would think they would be extra good for any product that might cause the metal lids to discolor. Sometimes tomato products do this.

14. unregistered29228

unregistered29228 Guest

I have some Tattler lids too, and they work great. I've only used them for sauerkraut and jams, never in the pressure canner, but I hear they work fine there too. I've re-used a few of them several times and they seal like a champ every time.

15. Stiegov

Stiegov Member

You can find information about Tattler Reusable Canning Lids at www.reusablecanninglids.com As of this writing the product being sold is all new production and has never been in storage.

Jackie Clay has been asked about them on her blog, and has since tried them. Look for her review to be released soon.

The selling price includes rubber rings in every package of lids, and the rings CAN be re-used as long as they are not cut or severely stretched. How many times can they be re-used is a good question. I recently conducted a test where I sealed jars of water 13 times, using the same lids and rubber rings. I used both water bath and pressure canner methods before coming to the conclusion a buyer would have long since realized significant savings. I then used them all a 14th time and processed food for storage. That was more than 2 months ago. Testimonials concerning the product tell of their use for more than 20 years without fail.